• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1000 Foot Walnut

Autocar

Or there abouts, if I had a quarter for all the calls Ive gotten on 50 foot to the first limb and big as a 55 gallion drum walnut tree. My latest call was 50 foot to the first branch and two foot on the small end. Riding back though a river bottom on a four wheeler we come up to the edge of the river and he tells me to stand on the back seat . The water was muddy as H and I said that looks pretty deep, remember it rainned another 1 1/2 inches . Any how we get to the tree it is 18 foot to the first limb and 13 inch. I tell the fellow this and he say's it looks this big around to me . Again making a circle with his hands the size off a garbage can. Ya got to smile and wait for the next call thinking maybe this will be the thousand footer :D

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
No walnut up here, but lots of people tell me about the acres and acres of white pine that are at least 5 - 16' logs to get up to where the trunk is 10". Seen a few, but never acres - and I log in Temagami.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
:rolleyes:I have taken down 1000's yup 1000's of acers of walnuts in Californias Central valley... 1000 footer yeah right!

mitch504

I got one in my back pasture that scales out 1125 bd ft.

If you buy the golden gate I'll throw it in free.:D

I tell the fellow this and he say's it looks this big around to me . Again making a circle with his hands the size off a garbage can. Ya got to smile and wait for the next call thinking maybe this will be the thousand footer :D

Now you're telling the story of my life.

mitch504

In all seriousness there is a magnolia tree at Pawleys Island SC beside a place I worked on that is 7' 4" DBH and over 125' tall. Probably 90' to the first limb. It has no commercial value that I know of but is impressive nonetheless.

jughead

Occupation
retired
this old man i always hearing some wild tails on value of walnut. is there any rule of the thumb guess on value of a walnut tree. i do understand the variables are endless

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
The tree nothing really, now the burrell on the other hand... thats $$$ in the bank if its big enough... i used to sell the burrells w/stump atached for $100 a piece back in the day... made a good payday when the stumpers would take 100 to 200 stumps a week...

Autocar

Jughead your right about the price variables I have sold them from .40 cents a board foot and as high as $10.00 a board foot . I talked with another logger a few months back that was wanting $20.00 a board foot for a log he had. When the settlers first came into Indiana every 7th tree was a walnut. There still are 1000 footers around but you pay dear for them and compenteation between veneer companys is so high that little money is left on the table for profit. As crazy as it sounds it isn't about the money for me I have sawdust running in my blood and just get a kick out of a dandy bunch of logs laying on my yard. Nothing smells better then frash cut logs. Tonka were your walnuts black or english there in California ? I have a few burls in a shed here at home over the years I give them away ,coming to reality that I will probably never do anything with them. Mitch talk about long lean logs you guys probably grow some yellow poplar don't you ? I have cut them in souther Indiana with 1200/1500 ft in them. When I first got started I bought some and had them figured at 350/400 ft. the crazy things cut over 700 ft. I paid the farmer some extra money just to be fair. I look back over the years and kick myself for not draging a camera around with me. It has probably been twenty five years or more but I bought 75 black cherry trees growing in real steep country I figured they were 45 feet to the first limb climbing out of reveins trying to get better sun light. About three branches on top and that was it, eye ball level they were 16 inch boy o boy were they pretty. I fell blessed about all the crazy things Ive done and seen in my life so far, people miss so much now a days I guess the sayng [ Didn't see the forest for all the trees ] pretty well hits the nail on the head.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
we had both... but english mostly... we used the trees for COGEN fuel after wwe ground them up.

Logman

1000'+ Cherry

Here's the best Black Cherry tree I've ever had the pleasure to put a saw in or lay eyes on. Been in the timber business for 30 years, yet this beauty was grown on my childhood farm.

The tree was over 40" on the stump and 50' to the first branch. It yielded just over 1500' of lumber. Some of the boards were 24" wide. That's pretty impressive for a Tennessee cherry tree.

Mom and Dad gave it to me when I was a kid and told me I could cut it someday when I built a house. I've owned several homes since then, but me and my wife finally got around to building our dream home a couple of years ago (actually it was a 4 year project).

We cut the big cherry down and used it to build a large dining room table (using 3 wide planks for the top surface), a buffet and a huge curio cabinet (10' wide x 12' tall). We still have enough lumber left from it that our craftsman is building a 102" tall grandfather clock.

On one hand I hated to see the tree cut. On the other hand we have several nice family heirlooms from its lumber. Thus the circle of life.

(For reference, that's a 395XP Husky sitting on top with a 32" bar.)

Attachments

• 0119091652a.jpg
    0119091652a.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,558

Autocar

A dandy tree for sure and your right,it growed there to be made into just what you built from it. I have seen them that big around Cane Pennsylvania. but no where else.

phil3333

Or there abouts, if I had a quarter for all the calls Ive gotten on 50 foot to the first limb and big as a 55 gallion drum walnut tree. My latest call was 50 foot to the first branch and two foot on the small end. Riding back though a river bottom on a four wheeler we come up to the edge of the river and he tells me to stand on the back seat . The water was muddy as H and I said that looks pretty deep, remember it rainned another 1 1/2 inches . Any how we get to the tree it is 18 foot to the first limb and 13 inch. I tell the fellow this and he say's it looks this big around to me . Again making a circle with his hands the size off a garbage can. Ya got to smile and wait for the next call thinking maybe this will be the thousand footer :D
I was in the sawmill business for twenty years I know exactly what you speak of