• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wheel nuts

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Need to replace the wheel nuts on my own pick up. They are the typical Ford chrome cap junk that start to swell until you can't get a socket on them. Dealer price is crazy, as is tire shops. Someone told me to check amazon, and it is way cheaper. Probably junk, but most are lug nut guys. Anyone deal with them? Good or bad luck?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Ford wants over $200 for 24 of them. I know an F350 at work has the ones that hold the wheel centers on, and they were over $500, as you can imagine, that truck no longer has centers. Amazon has the ones from the lug nut guys anywhere from $40 to $150

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Just replaced the lug nuts on my pickup. Got them from eBay. Fraction of the cost vs the dealer

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Cuttin Edge has swollen nuts. I tell ya. What a pain.

Anti-seize or no anti-seize ?

Torque stick or torque wrench?

Two ugga-duggas or three ugga-duggus ?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Horrible what Ford & Chrysler did with their crappy nut design. People can’t change flats along the road. Shops have to charge more time, just to get the damn wheels off. Extra expense to purchase proper wheel nuts.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Just bought a set for my Jeep JK off Amazon as they were coming apart.
Nice heavy chrome, good reviews, 20 bucks.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Bought a set for p/u online bout 5 years ago, just lost first outer "stainless" cover, problem is actual nut isn't stainless. Those things last forever in warmer regions, as soon as you enter the dreaded salt zone all bets are off. Nuts corrode, expand and split the covers, but they're shiny for the first couple of years.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Those nuts are the most **** poor design I have ever seen. Whatever engineer thought putting an aluminum skin over a steel lug nut was a good idea needs to learn about galvanic corrosion.

I just bought solid steel chromed ones from Napa for mine after an angry call to my local dealer about it. Have had them on my truck for 6 years without any issue. The chrome's flaking off so I clean off the rust that forms every now and then.

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Ford's alloy wheels suck too. They corrode solid to the hub. Every fall when I go to put my winters on I have to beat the tires with a sledge to get them to come off the hub. Never had that issue with any of my Chevs with alloy wheels.

cfherrman

Chevys you can over torque the nut and break the rim, and then it comes off the hub too easy.

Least with Ford's after a bit you don't even need the lug nuts anymore