• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Are The Best Tools On The Market?

CatManDoes

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
Lets just say you had $20,000 towards a new, full set of "top of the line" tools (like any of us has $20K set aside for a set of tools, lol), what kind would you buy and why?? All of your feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• images-20090702.jpg
    images-20090702.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 5,481

hi-ball

Snap on tools are made to last. As long as there is a traveling dealer close by most of my tools I buy are snap on, I broke a ratchet Mr snap on shows
up & 15 minutes later he had it rebuilt No charge. Some tools like open ended wrenches I buy Jet far cheaper & good Quality . I just bought Snap on's 1190 ft pounds half inch drive air ratchet :D good investment.
Good Luck, Shane.

Essayons

I buy Snap-On for most all my tools. Wrenches up to 1", no question Snap-On. Anything over 1" and you really don't need their precision for most jobs. However there are some other great wrenches such as Wright and even the Stanly long series. Snap-On pliers are great and they have one of the largest selections. But, where Snap-On is unmatched IMO is their screwdrivers and impact swivel sockets. There really IS a difference in Snap-On tools.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Last time inventoried the boxes there was about $25,000 worth of hand tools and only three items were SnapOn. I don't like the big money output for items I might use three times a year. I also don't like waiting for the tool man to show up and then give me crap about how I miss used "his" tools.

Most of my stuff is Mac, Matco and Craftsman. I have some big Proto wrenches and a lot of specialty stuff from the Napa store. There is also plenty of SK stuff in there. If they are generic brands like Vise Grip I'll buy them at the cheapest place I can find.

My philosophy is to buy the best that I can afford that will fill the need I have. I'm not going to pay $50 for a half inch ratchet that I can buy at Sears for $23. I can get the Craftsman rebuilt or replaced any day of the week. I can find a Sears store in about every town I go through.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Last time inventoried the boxes there was about $25,000 worth of hand tools and only three items were SnapOn. I don't like the big money output for items I might use three times a year. I also don't like waiting for the tool man to show up and then give me crap about how I miss used "his" tools.

Most of my stuff is Mac, Matco and Craftsman. I have some big Proto wrenches and a lot of specialty stuff from the Napa store. There is also plenty of SK stuff in there. If they are generic brands like Vise Grip I'll buy them at the cheapest place I can find.

My philosophy is to buy the best that I can afford that will fill the need I have. I'm not going to pay $50 for a half inch ratchet that I can buy at Sears for $23. I can get the Craftsman rebuilt or replaced any day of the week. I can find a Sears store in about every town I go through.

Your boxes sound like mine, John C, a mix of a number of brands. Bar none...my favorite wrench is my set of S-K Superchrome, 7/16 to 1 1/4. I have had this set for years, use them practically every day. I have used a "cheater wrench" in the open end of one on many occasions, and have beat on the big ones with a hammer many many times to get a tough bolt loose. With all this abuse...I have yet to break or bend one.

But I will offer this piece of advice to all:

If you are going to purchase "angle wrenches", Snap On only!

Only Snap On has a 60 degree offset on one end and a 30 degree offset on the other end. All other brands are 60 degree and 15 degree. A standard open end wrench is a 15 degree offset, so with all other brands of angle wrench, your really only getting a "half a wrench" because you already have a 15 degree wrench in your box! I have got hyd lines loose in really tight spots using a 15 deg wrench, then the 30 deg of the Snap On angle, then the 60 deg, then back to the 15 deg wrench. :)

PSDF350

It's funny growing up my father was a mechanic and never saw a snap on till I was an adult. Can say I never even seen or even heard of them till I was about 16, saw one of thier trucks. All the mechanics around had mac. Considered a hack with sears but yet just about all tool boxes had some.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Alot of the tools in my box say craftsman as well as the box, and they have been getting the job done for the past 10 years. That being said, craftsman isn't what it used to be. Price is up, quality is down, and gimicks abound.

Here is my beef with snapon, while i cannot deny that they make a quality tool, is a standard flat head screwdriver worth what I can buy a whole set of screwdrivers from craftsman for? You know I've never broke a craftsman while using it for a screwdriver. I've broke them using them as a puinch, or chisel, or pry bar, but I should know better and sears gave me a new one. I think I've lost more than i've broke. And at snapon prices... I'd be broke.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Ingersoll Rand for air tools.

OCR

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
I will only buy Wright tools. They are made right here in Akron Ohio. They sell everything from nut drivers to 3 1/2" drive impact sockets. They have a lifetime warranty, and always replace no questions asked. I have only broken one tool, a 1/2" drive 18" breaker bar, and I had a 6' piece of pipe on it. You pay for the quality, but they are worth it.

td25c

CatManDose,I have always had good luck with craftsman tools.If I were giving advice to a young mechanic on how to spend 20,000 dollars on tools ,I would check out www.craftsman.com .They have a great looking 1,468 piece tool set for 8,699.90 on page 7 under tool sets.Then I would spend the rest of the money on a good used 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a service bed on it to store the new tools in.That way you can work at the shop with the truck and when the phone rings you can also do in field service calls.Add a welder,torch,air comressor,crane to it later and you will be almost unstopable.Most of my repairs are done in the field.I learned early on that that I needed to be mobile with the tools as equipment dose not break down at the shop and many times it can be fixed quicker and easyer in the field.

In over 35 years of buying and using tools, I have a bit of each brand in the boxes, even some of the cheep China import stuff from Harbor freight (for the I only need this tool for one job tools) Most of it is Craftsman as it is easy to exchange for new if it breaks, some Proto, Snap On, Channel Lock, Vice Grip (invented by a blacksmith by the way) Souix, IR Rand, Rockwell and the like. Whatever is a reasonable price and works with a reasonable quality finds it's way into one of my boxes. I would hate to add up the $$ in those boxes!:eek:

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Craftsman, you can get them at any local Sears or OSH:notworthy

Snap-on, you got to wait for your salesman to come around, and then he don't want to warranty a tool:Banghead

flametamer

Occupation
Biomed Tech, Towing
Alot of the tools in my box say craftsman as well as the box, and they have been getting the job done for the past 10 years. That being said, craftsman isn't what it used to be. Price is up, quality is down, and gimicks abound.
Ditto.
Here is my beef with snapon, is a standard flat head screwdriver worth what I can buy a whole set of screwdrivers from craftsman for?
I don't know what it sells for now, but about 10 years ago their ratcheting screwdriver was like $40. For 1 screwdriver? Stupid.

Yes Snap-on makes a good tool, and you pay for it. Mac Matco and Cornwell are as good but you don't pay for the name most of the time. Snap-on does make excelent pliers and specialty tools. I am a fan of Craftsman, Cornwell, SK, Grey, Wright, Cresent, Channel Lock, and AMERICAN MADE Vise-Grip. Vise-Grips are now made in China.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
For the Down under crew:

Is the "Mogy" brand of tools still around?. Years ago my mechanic brother buggered up his knees and needed 6 months off after the operations....which would have sent him broke..or close to it. I went to help out with the mobile service work and grabbed a Mogy socket set...bloody good tools to this day. Got them from the local toolman on the Gold Coast. From the same guy I got some "BlackHawk" ratchets which have been even better...haven't seen those tools around for years.

dozerdave

Hi Squizzy246B,

Blackhawk was very popular in the U.S. and especially in my dad's tool boxes. I have never seen any Mogy tools.

One time a ranch hand told my dad he had to quit and go back home, dad said ok I will get your pay. When the hand was ready to leave he told my dad he needed more money and wanted to sell his tools. He got them out of the trunk of his car, they were in a feed sack. Dad opened the sack and looked in and said ok and paid him. Several days later dad remembered the tools and dumped them on the shop floor and he had bought some of his own tools back. Dad laughed and said I guess thats better than losing them completely.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I have never heard of Mogy tools, Squizzy. We started out with Sidchrome, then Kingchrome, Bahco shifters, but these days we buy cheaper tools. A few years ago we bought a big set of Chinese, AF/Metric combination (open one end, ring the other) spanners that go up to 30mm, from a bloke that comes around flogging off tools and they have been really good. We don't really need precision tools for working on crushers and with different people using them all the time, they tend to get left on machines and then get lost. The Chinese shifters do all that we want to do and once again, if they get lost, it doesn't break the bank. I had a look at Snap On once, but they were way over priced for what we do with them, but if I was a mechanic using them everyday, well that would be different. Mind you, out here I tend to think perhaps the the Snap On price could be rather over inflated by some of the franchisees driving around in their flash trucks.

Rn'R.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have a set of Snap-On Boltcutters I paid $300 for after busting up about three sets of chinese $100 ones:pointhead

But for spanners I reckon Repco or Kinchrome are pretty good value. I've had a repco R/O.E spanner set for about 15 years now and they are all good but for being a bit dinged up from being beaten about by hammers. I have a 20 year old 1/2" drive Sidchrome socket thats going Ok but I don't use it much anymore since the 3/8" drive mogy does at least half my work. The old man has a sidchrome socket set that is nearly as old as me...(so its like 21:D) and the box is all rusted out but they are bloody good sockets....what I call "Real Dinkum SidChrome".