• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The upcoming generation

Vetech63

I feel bad because he's currently surrounded by people who are holding him back.
I get that but there is different reasons for it. In my own case when dealing with new people learning...........it's not holding them back. Its more about not putting them in a dangerous situation or something that I know is over their head without some experienced supervision.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
IMOP some one that has to go to a trade school to learn the old school mechanics doesn't have it in their system. They are doing it just because.
Here in Canada everyone in the trades has to go to school, its the way the system is setup. Sure you can moonlight but you won't ever make top dollar at a top end company without having completed the apprenticeship program. You'll most likely only ever just be some random guy working out of his tool shed for beer money.

Vetech63

Well, I guess I'll give my 2 cents here because that's about all it's worth.

I have seen little to no willingness to learn; it's been more about what they can make monetarily. I've seen them unwilling to get dirty, clean up after themselves, and have very little respect for those with a hell of a lot more experience.

The equipment dealers here see the same thing. The Komatsu dealer here has a program with the state college ran heavy equipment service and repair graduates coming out of that school. They bring them in for hands on experience at a training level pay................rightly so. I have been told that they only find one decent graduate out of 20. Most leave the program within weeks......the reasons? Too Dirty, too hot, too cold, too much physical labor, ...............you name it, they have it for an excuse. They don't teach this in the program. It seems they are unwilling to make the sacrifices needed and want to make as much money as they can without putting any effort in. I've been told the THINK BIG program has the same issues.

Look, I have high expectations when dealing with new people in the industry. Will most young people not like it?........Yeah, I'm sure of that! Show me you , at the very least, can pick up after yourself, listen to me when I am trying to help you, and have some respect. Why is it that one of those is always missing. It doesn't matter how old you are or how much experience you have, you have to be accountable. If you can even do those 3 things that your parents should have taught you in their household............then we are not going to get along and you will think I'm the meanest person on the planet.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I get that but there is different reasons for it. In my own case when dealing with new people learning...........it's not holding them back. Its more about not putting them in a dangerous situation or something that I know is over their head without some experienced supervision.
Problem is that its going to affect the quality of his experience there when he's the only one actually passing. The instructor is going to be stuck trying to get the rest up to speed.

Vetech63

Problem is that its going to affect the quality of his experience there when he's the only one actually passing. The instructor is going to be stuck trying to get the rest up to speed.
Yes, but all of us have been in a similar situation sometime in our careers. It's part of the process of growing to be a very good tech and having a long-term position you can bank on for the future. If he is getting discouraged.........tell him not to let it bother him. SLOW and STEADY wins the race!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Well, I guess I'll give my 2 cents here because that's about all it's worth.

I have seen little to no willingness to learn; it's been more about what they can make monetarily. I've seen them unwilling to get dirty, clean up after themselves, and have very little respect for those with a hell of a lot more experience.

The equipment dealers here see the same thing. The Komatsu dealer here has a program with the state college ran heavy equipment service and repair graduates coming out of that school. They bring them in for hands on experience at a training level pay................rightly so. I have been told that they only find one decent graduate out of 20. Most leave the program within weeks......the reasons? Too Dirty, too hot, too cold, too much physical labor, ...............you name it, they have it for an excuse. They don't teach this in the program. It seems they are unwilling to make the sacrifices needed and want to make as much money as they can without putting any effort in. I've been told the THINK BIG program has the same issues.

Look, I have high expectations when dealing with new people in the industry. Will most young people not like it?........Yeah, I'm sure of that! Show me you , at the very least, can pick up after yourself, listen to me when I am trying to help you, and have some respect. Why is it that one of those is always missing. It doesn't matter how old you are or how much experience you have, you have to be accountable. If you can even do those 3 things that your parents should have taught you in their household............then we are not going to get along and you will think I'm the meanest person on the planet.
Here they start you out at 60% of Journeyman rate. You are supposed to get 10% each year you complete (60% in first, 70% in second, 80% in third etc).

We have another young guy at our shop, fresh out of highschool. We just started letting him do some bigger jobs and this kid is showing some promise too. Not afraid to ask questions and he's not afraid to ask for help when he gets a little too far in over his head. I don't mind clocking in on his job here and there and helping him out because he wants to do well.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Yes, but all of us have been in a similar situation sometime in our careers. It's part of the process of growing to be a very good tech and having a long-term position you can bank on for the future. If he is getting discouraged.........tell him not to let it bother him. SLOW and STEADY wins the race!
That's what I told him. There's a lot of good information in the 1st year and he'll get a lot out of it if he ignores his classmates.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Most leave the program within weeks......the reasons? Too Dirty, too hot, too cold, too much physical labor, ...............you name it, they have it for an excuse.

Pretty much the same experience we've had with the last 15-20 hires we've had since 2020. We have stopped taking any applications from warehouse and/or forklift operators for green laborers. I don't know what happens at the Amazon DC here but they must not have to work hard and be able to stay on their phones all day.

The labor market is so tight here if you want someone skilled you have to poach them.

Welder Dave

Nothing wrong with going to a trade school for high school. It certainly doesn't mean that the students in it aren't cut out to be trades people. Some aren't but a majority are. Some people just don't apply themselves to anything. The school I went to basically gave the students introductory courses on different trades so they could get an idea of what type of trade they may like. Kind of like shop class in different area's for the 1st year. 2nd year you narrow it down more. I liked metal working so for the 2nd year had plumbing, sheet metal, machine shop and welding. The 3rd year you picked what you liked the best. You spent more time in the shop than you did learning the academic stuff, 4 classes in shop and 3 academic in the afternoon all year long. The academic stuff like math was geared towards what you use in the real world and in a trade. I had three 6 or 8 week work experience placements where I went to potential employers and was basically a jr. employee. I got out of school early because I had a job offer to start an apprenticeship. Actually I had 2 job offers. My grades were good and my teacher said to go for it. He encouraged me to go to the Nisku business park close to where I lived and apply for welding jobs after school. I had to do a job test. It was a vertical up beveled V groove with 6010 root and 7018 fill and cap. Not the most simple weld test. I had never done that type of weld before. When I was finished and went into the office I thought for sure I failed the test. The manager asked why my cap was so wide. I said I'd never done a weld like that before. He said oh and looked over at one of the foremen who was also there and said that's pretty good for never having done it before. I got the job offer to start an apprenticeship right there and they asked if I could start next week. I said I'd have to check with the school and told them I could the next day. There's not a chance I could have passed that test had I not gone to a trade school. It's not a test someone just walking off the street could pass either. Had I gone to a regular high school, I have no idea what I would have done for an occupation. I was fortunate to have a great welding teacher. Actually all the teachers were really good. They were trades people first and recruited to be instructors at the school. It's sad there are very few trades schools left especially when there's a shortage of trades people. I owe a lot to my dad for fighting to get me in the trade school and the trade school for having great instructors that made you want to go to school. I'm not ashamed I went to the "dummy" school. I think some people who didn't are the dummies. I could do other jobs but always a trade to fall back on.

Last edited:

IceHole

There is a certain amount of talent available that want to use marijuana more than finding a higher paying position with requirements for passing a wiz quiz.

Especially true in Alaska since legalization.
Saw an ad for a Carlile warehouse position a while back that listed something to the effect of drug testing excluding mariwanna.

IceHole

I found it odd when the apprentice said his shop partner didn't know how to read a tape measure. One would think that at some point in the 18-20 years of their life and 2,000 hours of on the job experience they'd have had to utilize a tape measure.
I have a hard time remembering all the decimal conversations and end up doing the math.
IE 9/16 = .5625"

IceHole

The railroad here is having a very difficult time recruiting as the majority of applicants fail the drug test.
Here they drag the process out for months and months.
They called me SIX MONTHS after I interviewed to have me come back in. Nd got pissed when I said I've been working for 5 months already, sorry

Truck Shop

For some it depends on the environment they grew up in {I say some}. I grew up during
a different era, I grew up on a dairy farm. It was 24/7 it never really stopped, animals
depended on me. Just how many get to live that life today? not many. It was all work at
a very young age. Looking back--yes it could be agonizing--and looking back at it again
I'm glad I lived it, it put ethics in my life. Young people don't have any of that in most cases.
When a good worker comes along I guarantee somewhere somehow there was a person
in their life that had allot to do with their outlook on life. I've said it before on here there is
too much emphasis on money--{A mans true success should never be judged by the amount
of presidents in his wallet but should be judged by his respect and pride in his work and
respect for others and their fine work}. That in my book is what makes a person good at
his job & his home life.

Welder Dave

I don't feel too sorry for guys that made a boat load of money and spent it like it was growing on tree's then whine they're broke when the economy takes a down turn. The guy making a decent living and living within his means putting a little away each much gets a lot more respect than the guy showing off all his fancy toys and bragging about them. I also have no use for the keeping up with the Jones types that always have to the biggest or best just to have something better than their neighbor. Now if a guy buys 1 neat toy that he's saved up for and wanted for a long time, I'm happy for them.