• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old modified 631 pan to a pull pan?

fastline

Been trying to get a scraper setup for years. Missed a couple deals and now prices are nuts. Sort of looking at a 631 pan that was modded with new neck to pull it. I'm curious if anyone has seen this setup and how it might compare to a modern pan? I think some of the CATs were really heavy but prob robust. Just not sure if they load efficiently. I was looking at more of an ag tractor setup for a puller. Mainly want to go that route so I can use the tractor for other stuff. I don't have consistent scraper type work.

My concern is I doubt most ag tractors really want that tongue weight on them, and it would be huge. Just mainly doing some thinking. Had an opportunity to grab a tracked Challenger tractor awhile back, but I had nothing to pull. Not real sure that tractor could handle a 31yd pan anyway.

The only soils I would run in are loams, sandy loams, or clays.

Shimmy1

I would not hook a converted 631 behind my 95E. That is going to be a heavy, power-sucking pig. If it's a direct conversion, it is going to need 500+ track horses on the front to get a decent load.

If it's a dolly, you are going to need 60k pounds and 600 horse to load it. And I'm not guessing. I know a guy that bought a 491 dolly scraper. Pretty much the same size as a 631. Weighted his Challenger 875B to 64k, and couldn't load it full. Bought a 28 yard K-Tec and has got along ok.

Last edited:

fastline

I would not hook a converted 631 behind my 95E. That is going to be a heavy, power-sucking pig. If it's a direct conversion, it is going to need 500+ track horses on the front to get a decent load.

If it's a dolly, you are going to need 60k pounds and 600 horse to load it. And I'm not guessing. I know a guy that bought a 491 dolly scraper. Pretty much the same size as a 631. Weighted his Challenger 875B to 64k, and couldn't load it full. Bought a 28 yard K-Tec and has got along ok.
Dollies need more power? Honestly little experience with pans so I pay attention to the local big guys. They run 2 wheel ejectors and ag Deeres for pullers. Not certain on pan size.

The pan mentioned is literally a removed pan from a 631, necked up to be a pull pan. I seem to recall those CATs had a more flat bottom and would drag in the dirt? Deeres had a better cut edge angle and belly angle?

I'd be content with a 20yd setup but seems anything that 'really' works, either doesn't get sold, or sells as used up for a mint.

Shimmy1

Dollies need more power? Honestly little experience with pans so I pay attention to the local big guys. They run 2 wheel ejectors and ag Deeres for pullers. Not certain on pan size.

Not necessarily. If you get a 12-15 yard dolly pan, you can pull one of those with a 400 hp wheel tractor in most all conditions. A 631 pan is 30 yards, and the rig, if it has a dolly, is going to weigh 15-18 ton. With a 30 yard load of dirt, you're looking at 80k+ pounds, give or take. You're not going to pull it loaded with a 35k pound farm tractor, much less load it.

The pan mentioned is literally a removed pan from a 631, necked up to be a pull pan. I seem to recall those CATs had a more flat bottom and would drag in the dirt? Deeres had a better cut edge angle and belly angle?

I'd be content with a 20yd setup but seems anything that 'really' works, either doesn't get sold, or sells as used up for a mint.

Lot of farmers around pulling Cat 60s and 80s. The guys with 80s have 500 horse ahead of them.

deerert295

631 out of the question.Take a d9h at least that's 80000 pounds no blade. Go for 15 to 18 yard pan.Direct mount load 15 per cent easier.Ive said it before you want a scraper you can load easily.Save the tractor