• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need to buy a good underground utility locater ?

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
well I just spent a full day looking for a water line that should have been found in a hour. what are guys using to locate underground wire/pipes lines. thanks

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Bought one of the original locators Pipehorn several years ago and it works great. Bonus for us is they are made in Birmingham, AL.

It's been a good unit.

IceHole

Excavator bucket seems to work great.

Funny enough, I trenched power to a sign that had buried 7200v, fiber, phone, cable going across like it was a spider web, no problems. Using a clapped out Deere 310A, about had to cast out the bucket as it was so loose.

Boring outfit comes to install some lines with their fancy equipment, managed to rip out the main phone line twice and sent a guy to the hospital when he Sawzalled a 7200v feeder that they claimed was dead. "Not in an drawings"
Oh ripped that line out too... like ripped it right out from the building that fed it!

Last edited:

Deere500a

Last week bucket and throttle for the win 15 ft past indicators & shallower than they thought it gave everyone extra time the brains scratching and electricians wondering wtf & me with no cookie for finding the surprise sometimes it happens

IceHole

Ive found that a 40' 12"@72 H pile under a 4500 lb drop hammer is a good underground locator .Over the years of pile driving we seem to find all kinds of things that were not supposed to be there.:)
The spicy roots are the ones I get scared of. Or a gas main.

Contractor hut one in Anchorage a few years ago, had flames like 50ft high.

aighead

Is there a service that would have something like this to either hire or rent? I know where the water shutoff is, in the front yard, but then it goes who-knows-where about 300 feet to the house. I'd rather not dig it up and I don't think Call Before You Dig spots water lines do they?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Is there a service that would have something like this to either hire or rent? I know where the water shutoff is, in the front yard, but then it goes who-knows-where about 300 feet to the house. I'd rather not dig it up and I don't think Call Before You Dig spots water lines do they?

What material is the pipe? If plastic does it have a tracer wire.

reganj

Call your local locator service, 411 is the number here. They locate and if you hit something it is on them. Someone hit a three quarter inch gas line feeding a house prior to calling 411. The bill was 3500.00
Luckily, they were able to get the bill reduced to 500.00 If someone had callled 411 and hit the line it would have cost 0.00

chidog

The average locator service is just for the feeding utilities to the property, anything else is not covered.
Like if a water meter is on the side of the county street any piping to the home is on the owner, same with electric lines past the meter. Utilities pay them and only up to their meters, nothing else.

Plastic pipes with water can be traced with a radio frequency introduced into the water.
I know because the time we needed that done his gizmo was broken. That was a private owner pay locator.

Yeah gotta love worthless website like this one. No prices etc.

Are there places to rent this sort of stuff?

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
we found this one by opening the water line at the shutoff in building, then shoved a electrical fish tape down the plastic pipe towards the service pit

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation