• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Mr. Hansen if you weren't being a smartass New River Bridge Rt. 19, Fayetteville W.V.
Was replying before I read the post that mentioned "New River Bridge in WV" And I did recall something about the Bungee Jumping from it. I was about at my limits riding my sidecar outfit over it!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
There is no perfectly good bungee, everyone has a defect somewhere. Remember the
one that snapped and smacked your face.
Learned at young age never trust a stretched bungee the hard way, yep right to the kisser. Got smacked in the coconut once just walking past a tarped flatbed at a T/A, it just let go and scared the crap out of me. "You can take an eye out with those things"

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe it's just me but I think that would look better with mud dripping off it and the cable from the winch pulling some "wanna-be" four wheel drive out of a mud hole!

I actually had one opportunity to work on a Power Wagon years ago at a friends cabin out in the woods in the Adirondacks. It had not been run in a couple years. My self and another guy, who just happened to be an instructor for mechanics at Morrisville Tech here in NY. Forget who did what on it, one of us had at the distribute cleaning points and such and the other opened the carb up and cleaned some nasty stuff out. A few minutes on a charger and sure enough it started up then we proceeded to pull some old stumps and brush out of the guys yard.

Other than the nasty black flies that tried to eat you anytime you were outside that was a good weekend.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Years ago where I lived a guy had collected I guess a dozen of 300's of all years. Had them
hidden behind a barn and trees. I think there was a PW military ambulance as well. Anyway
he died, no wife, no children pretty much a recluse spider. The property became tied up and
everything on it because he had no will. He owed back taxes and a few other problems to go
with it, so probate. In the end the property was sold and the place leveled. From what I was
told at the time all the PW's went for scrap. This was in the late 70's early 80's and at that
time there wasn't allot of interest in the old PW's like today.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Blacksmith at work retired and shortly after, while camping with his wife, a tarp strap/bungy let go and the hook pierced his eye. Wife had to drive the rig out of the bush a few hrs and then on to the hospital. He now has a blind spot In that eye.

crane operator

Blacksmith at work retired and shortly after, while camping with his wife, a tarp strap/bungy let go and the hook pierced his eye. Wife had to drive the rig out of the bush a few hrs and then on to the hospital. He now has a blind spot In that eye.
I had a angel looking out for me, when the bungee went, it grazed my eye just enough to break my plastic contact lens in three pieces, and my eye was sore for days. But no permanent injury.

skyking1

I think this is parts for a cherry job that's going together in the shop here at Freightliner.
1000002608.jpg

It looks like it got arseholed while it was down. I hate that when somebody hits you when you're

down.

1000002609.jpg

1000002611.jpg

1000002610.jpg

Truck Shop

This whole thing that took place back in early 80's with trucks, Sam Pruitt-Movin On, Smokey &
the Bandit, BJ & the Bear. Was then is now--crap for people to marvel at that don't have too
many marbles.
img_5639-jpg.311184

skyking1

My favorite part about that movie is watching. Somebody put their hand on a greasy fifth wheel like it was normal to put your hand on a greasy fifth wheel.
I had it exactly right. There's a little hot rod 351 in the body shop there for a owner of a large trucking company. That 351is just there for whatever they need to carve off of it.

stinky64

Occupation
Watched 2 whole episodes of Movin-On late last night, comes through on one of the watch for free channels on my new smarty-pants TV. Just 2 months ago upgraded from my old RCA bubble TV, finally schit the bed after 30 years, just don't make anything to last these days.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

stinky64

Occupation
My favorite part about that movie is watching. Somebody put their hand on a greasy fifth wheel like it was normal to put your hand on a greasy fifth wheel.
I had it exactly right. There's a little hot rod 351 in the body shop there for a owner of a large trucking company. That 351is just there for whatever they need to carve off of it.
Many moons ago at CF, worked with this little feller Bobby Marotta who was like one of them little arf, arf dogs never quit bitchin'. One day he was flapping his gums at a big old Hungarian dude who really didn't like him too much, Old dude picked him up like a rag doll and sat him right on top of a freshly greased fifth wheel with his legs dangling. Don't think I had ever laughed so hard in my life. Aaahh the good old days.

Truck Shop

Many moons ago at CF, worked with this little feller Bobby Marotta who was like one of them little arf, arf dogs never quit bitchin'.
Every shop, every trucking company has its banty roosters. Then there are the short roosters
that are left handed too.

Truck Shop

A mind numbing job . . .
No more mind numbing than swinging back and forth digging a trench, and pretty soon
it will be done AI & GPS. Most of what people do is repetitive & mundane after so long.
They don't admit their bored & the challenge is gone. Their positive in life is the coming
weekend and a trip to Costco to spend what they don't have. The Costco trip becomes a
job just like any other.