• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 6600 tractor - any experience with?

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Bobcat 863; Case CS150; Belarus 82; Claas
Hi all,
first of all, Happy New Year for everyone!

Today checked one John Deere 6600 tractor, 6cyl 110hp engine, Powerquad
Seemed rather nice, though cleaned well :)

So maybe someone has had some experience with them or next 6800 model? anything particular to look for to understand the condition. Seemed to fire up a bit reluctantly, though its slightly below zero these days. So far, HEF has been of great help, fingers crossed if someone could shed some light, or point where to search for more info.

Thanks!

DJR96

My old man has a 6510. It's the 105hp non-turbo 6 cyl. 6600/6610 is pretty much the same but with turbo. IMO, the turbo is way better. Not because it's that much more powerful, but more efficient and probably a bit broader torque curve. All in all, a good tractor. Good transmission (24sp powerquad), front suspension. Great for loader work too.

His takes a bit to fire up too if it's not been used for a bit too, and that's without being cold.:beatsme

Hope this helps even though it's been a couple of weeks since you asked.;)

hvy 1ton

The 6500-6900 are the same as the 7X00 series in NA. They're really popular for mowing and baling and light field work around here. I haven't ever run 00 series, but used both a 7210 and 7420 on a friends ranch feeding and baling hay.They are good tractors, hard working and few serial problems. I don't remember if they have the problems that the lower end of the series have with fuel lines and injection pumps. If they start like my 6400 your going to kicking tires when it get down around 10F.

possum300d

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
Hi all,
first of all, Happy New Year for everyone!

Today checked one John Deere 6600 tractor, 6cyl 110hp engine, Powerquad
Seemed rather nice, though cleaned well :)

So maybe someone has had some experience with them or next 6800 model? anything particular to look for to understand the condition. Seemed to fire up a bit reluctantly, though its slightly below zero these days. So far, HEF has been of great help, fingers crossed if someone could shed some light, or point where to search for more info.

Thanks!

Very popular tractor over in here in Europe.

My brother had a few 6800's (before moving on to 6810's and now 6820's), used them for contracting and were pretty solid and reliable. Could maybe ask over on British Farming Forum as reckon be plenty 'experts' there! :D

My father's 6910 is a little slow starting when it's cold just now but thats generally just the battery suffering a little and it needs a good pre-heat.

Regards
Ross

AndyGrevis

Occupation
Thanks for all comments, i was looking at 6600 and 6800, but then came offer which i could not refuse, and from greenee turned red, and got Case CS150. well, first impressions - Deere sure has some strong points over Case, but price/year/condition were too good to refuse :cool2 well, later in the year when will be able to put it some regular use will be able to chim in more. Now need to snap a pic for bleed red section :D

hvy 1ton

They only problem starting the 6000 series is the battery being severely undersized. I really want to build a battery box under the right side of the cab and run duals, but my dad is convinced it'll fry the starter. Every time its below 40F the block heater better be plugged in and below 20 you might as will get the duramax warmed up before you even try starting it. Funny how the truck we use to jump it has dual batteries standard, huh?

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The only way the second battery would fry the starter is if you wired it in series rather than parallel, making 24 volts instead of 12. What will fry the starter is lower power than it needs to do it's job, so if anything, the second battery will extend the starter's life.

hvy 1ton

Yeah, i'm fully aware of all of that, but good luck convincing my dad. The problem isn't the battery having enough power to turn over the motor, its not having enough to fire the glowplugs and then turn over the motor. I installed a block heater last year and it helps, but it can only do so much. I think i may have just gotten a bad battery, so i'm gonna replace it and if i have this much trouble next winter, I'm gonna make a dual battery box for it, and just not tell him.

AndyGrevis

Occupation
If you wire it correctly, then only problem i can think of could be the generator underpowered to charge both batteries.

Mquinista

I too own one, and guess same problem, it starts awfull no matter cold or hot...
Aquired the tractor used and it is 12k guess original engine, pulls great, all functions still operative, great fuel consuption for my job, decent enough power and not too big chassis for my needs, if it was size of 6400 with this power output would be perfect for us.

Meanwile as every used machine, had its problems when i aquired it, and that lead me to get much more aquanited with the system. First of all mine as european version has a weird fuel system for a tractor...
Electrical Pump in fuel tank, 1 fuel filter with strainer, to IP, IP is a Lucas DP210, wich is a weird pump , and rare.

Rare too is the all fuel system for a Machine like this, having a fuel system like a passenger car, and not an industrial machine.

I and a friend have an Injection Pump repair shop, so we´re used to all types of fuel pumps, and some starting issues are related to IP or fuel system.
Some pumps have what we call "increased Starting flow" wich is the case of this DP210, start fuel should be @100RPM pump rotation(200RPM engine) , thing is the pump rotation is not the main thing to consider... as i suspect my tractor with a 120A/h rated at 800A/h kick in certainly turns the engine @200RPM or close. Discarding this what else is to consider , the pump case pressure, wich if not close to 2/2.5 bar will not feed the injection head to have the start injection, this might be due to the chosen pump fuel suply system. other thing to consider is injectors, this pencil style injectors are not the most perfect and reliable in the market, but we should rule out injectors.

Right now, i have modified the fuel suply system a litle and we have had good results, but it still does not fire like a cummins, or a CAT, it takes 5/6 turns to come in, but i haven´t done all i inteded too. just installed a 3 bar capable pump in tank , and a filter assy with a bleed valve rated @ 1,5 BAR.
When i have time and patience, i will add a water condensater and strainer, and an engine block lift pump as the industrial engines have. if i´m correct this will solve the problem.

If not i´ll dump the original DP210 pump and fit it with a Stanadyne or Bosch VE IP.

I wonder if the biguer brother 6800 with the 6068 engine and the Stanadyne pump does the same?