• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help Inspecting Undercarriage - 977H

bulletpruf

Fellas -

I just picked up a 977H. The price was right (free), so I didn't worry to much about condition of the undercarriage. From what I'm seeing, it doesn't look bad, but would anyone care to take a look at the pics to tell me what you see?

FYI - one of the sprockets has bolt on segments, the other doesn't.

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 33

bulletpruf

More pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    IMG_1349.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Idlers & carrier rollers both worn out (running surface deeply scalloped)
Track shoe grousers worn down to bolt head level = worn out
Marks on the track link bosses indicate that the track rollers are worn out. The track links are hitting the roller flanges
Track link running surfaces scalloped.
Sprocket teeth are not completely worn out but neither are they anywhere close to "as new" condition.

The only photos missing in your album are of the track link bushes but if they are in a similar condition to the rest of the U/C I would expect them also to be well-worn.

Last edited:

bulletpruf

Idlers & carrier rollers both worn out (running surface deeply scalloped)
Track shoe grousers worn down to bolt head level = worn out
Marks on the track link bosses indicate that the track rollers are worn out. The track links are hitting the roller flanges
Track link running surfaces scalloped.
Sprocket teeth are not completely worn out but neither are they anywhere close to "as new" condition.

The only photos missing in your album are of the track lin bushes but if they are in a similar condition as the rest of th eU/C I would expect them also to be well-worn.

Ok, thanks for the details.

bulletpruf

Just to add to the long list by Nige: the idlers look to be as far forward as they can go, suggesting the internal track link bushings are worn as well.

Does it run?

Jon.

Ok, thanks.

Yes, it runs great. Hydraulics are fine. Steering is so-so. Steers fine to the right, but not so great to the left.

bulletpruf

Anyone know if the undercarriage bits for one of these is available new from Cat or aftermarket?

Thanks

IceHole

Plenty of life in it. I've run stuff so worn the sprockets just had nubs
Not like running it is going to ruin anything that isn't already worn.

I forget, if it's D6 or D7 that uses same tracks. 8" pitch i think.

bulletpruf

Plenty of life in it. I've run stuff so worn the sprockets just had nubs
Not like running it is going to ruin anything that isn't already worn.

I forget, if it's D6 or D7 that uses same tracks. 8" pitch i think.

I believe the 977H undercarriage is based on a D7. How do you measure pitch?

Thanks

Welder Dave

New undercarriage shouldn't be a problem but the cost would be. I'd guess well North of $10K for a 977 and maybe as much as $20K if everything is needed and it kind of looks like that. Maybe could find some decent used tracks. In the mean time you could run it as is. Just be prepared for the tracks to come off.

bulletpruf

New undercarriage shouldn't be a problem but the cost would be. I'd guess well North of $10K for a 977 and maybe as much as $20K if everything is needed and it kind of looks like that. Maybe could find some decent used tracks. In the mean time you could run it as is. Just be prepared for the tracks to come off.

The machine won't be used a lot, so running it as-is isn't a bad plan.

Thanks

nicky 68a

There’s one thing running a dozer on an undercarriage as worn as the 977,and another thing running a traxcavator on those old tracks.
I would think spragging with a full bucket would rip things off very quickly on that machine

bulletpruf

There’s one thing running a dozer on an undercarriage as worn as the 977,and another thing running a traxcavator on those old tracks.
I would think spragging with a full bucket would rip things off very quickly on that machine

Thanks for the input.