• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
How did your tire project work out? I have 2 flat rear to tackle. Just bought a 50 ton bottle jack, my 20 wasnt doing much good on the left rear. Storms and floods interfering again also.

Occupation
Woodworker
How did your tire project work out? I have 2 flat rear to tackle. Just bought a 50 ton bottle jack, my 20 wasnt doing much good on the left rear. Storms and floods interfering again also.
I used a 30 ton and lots of cribbing, but same, rain came thru and it settled a bit. Hit the lugs with a little heat and PB and my makita impact slowly worked them free. Rim was a little rust bonded but knocked it off. After watching the tire guys put on an inner tube and take the wheel apart I probably could have done it myself but it was nice to basically watch the tricks. Not cheep tho.

Ordered shifter cable parts from McMaster should have that back together soon. So strange tried calling contractors crane all day and it kept dropping, wonder if they are just closed Friday.

Gearclash

Occupation
Farmer/Custom operator/Mechanic
Interesting thread! I have read through it all as I bought a Gallon 150A late in 2020. Detroit 4-53 power. All hydraulic boom. It does have some problems that need to be addressed some day, the worst being the upper boom section piggy back cylinders leaking horribly, so I don’t use them. Heaviest lift I’ve done with it so far was unloading a horizontal boring mill that weighed right at 8 tons. That was all it wanted as there was some reach required to pick it off the truck and swing it to a concrete pad.

For what it’s worth I have all the books for the 150A, although they are not original for my machine.

BobCatBob

Gearclash…….check up in the back end of the main boom section……there is a thumb wheel relief valve. I had a bunch of boom hose get caught up in there when my Gleason real failed…..and it opened the relief valve. Twisted close…….leak gone. This was after I had the internal cylinders resealed.

Small world:

Bought a Fadal VMC 15….. found a use for the crane.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 9967FB50-CADE-41CF-BBCA-4D6843AD74A9.jpeg
    9967FB50-CADE-41CF-BBCA-4D6843AD74A9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

Gearclash

Occupation
I will look back there again . . . Gleason reels have failed on my 150A as well . . . hose all wadded up back there when I got it . . . anything may have happened.

BobCatBob

Davo…..I’m sure on right hand or left hand on the wheels…good Question.

Gear clash……here’s a few pics of redoing the boom hoses and Gleason reel:

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpeg
    IMG_2683.jpeg
    752.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2684.jpeg
    IMG_2684.jpeg
    842.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    938.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2675.jpeg
    IMG_2675.jpeg
    769.6 KB · Views: 9

BobCatBob

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_8683.jpeg
    IMG_8683.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8573.jpeg
    IMG_8573.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8595.jpeg
    IMG_8595.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Bob did the transmission and mounts stay secure when you pulled the engine? Due to my errors and neglect the komatsu/cummins 5.9 has to come out of my 150. At minimum I need a block and pistons/rings gaskets and one new injector (broke on removal) and the other 5 cleaned and chekced.

BobCatBob

Hi Davo

It did (I have the Clark transmission set up). I was able to drop the propellor shaft to the torque converter, then the U joint to the hydraulic pump…and pull the engine.

Occupation
Woodworker
Made a little progress yesterday:

Shift cable - I used McMaster 2691K22 as a replacement which seems like a nice unit, modified the cable mount to take a generic u-bolt, just have to install it. Shifting from the cab instead of climbing under the machine will be a nice upgrade ;)

Hydraulic tank - Fully cleaned out the tank and used magnets to check all the corners for sludge and stuff. Chased all the stud threads and welded in a new one for the one that they busted off. Replaced the paper filters, breather and O-rings on the covers. I used a silicon based o-ring grease to install them. Looks like there was also some pin hole in the lower cover landing, welded that and smoothed back to like new. Started filling it up with fresh fluid and no leaks!

What are y'all using for modern equivalents of the recommended fluids:
- Hydraulic: ISO 32?
- Allison Transmission Fluid? Dexron III?
- Engine Oil? SAE40 for the detroit?

Hopefully I can get the shift cable in today along with finish filling the hydraulic tank and put a battery back in. I'll probably put the extra 4D I have in. It would be nice to fire her up and test the steering, hydraulics.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 7

crane operator

My 150FA came to me with ATF as the hyd. fluid, which seems to work fine. Its just a gear pump, so I don't think it matters much.

The detroit should be a low ash straight weight oil.

Gearclash

Occupation
I would suggest an AW (anti-wear) oil for the hydraulics. There is a motor for the boom swing and also for the winch and I would think those would benefit from more anti-wear additive than what a bottom shelf hydraulic fluid offers. A premium hydraulic oil wouldn’t be bad either but I don’t see that it would be a necessity. And if there are a lot of hydraulic leaks . . .

Occupation
Woodworker
Updates - Got the shifter cable back in, works like a charm. Finished filling hydraulic tank, reconnected the pump, put battery in and cleaned cup and put in new air filter. Fired right up and wow it was nice to be able to steer the think and shift. Moved it over to a different part of my yard and tested the functionality.

Fast hoist works, rotate works, outriggers seem to go down but not up, I only tested the one partially. Crowd does extend the main boom cylinder but its not connected now and I need to put the pin back in. The cable for boom lift is stuck so I'm gonna try to free that up.

Slow hoist doesn't seem to do anything... I need to study the manuals.

My parts book doesn't show much about the internals of the 67839 pilot check/relief valve on the outriggers. The previous owners pulled out the pin / spring / cup in order to push two of the outriggers back up.

Pretty cool the things works sorta :p

Gearclash

Occupation
There are two hydraulic pumps on those machines, a 30 GPM and a 50 GPM pump. Slow hoist, outriggers, pedestal rotate, and rear steer are all on the lower output pump. For some reason I have to rev the engine to around 1500 RPM to get my slow pump functions to work. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way or if the pump is worn enough that it won’t make enough pressure at idle to pop the load check valves or whatever.

Edit to add, for those that may not know, that the slow hoist and the fast hoist levers may be combined for max hoist speed.

Occupation
Woodworker
Alright more updates. So I actually freed up the stuck boom lift cable just as I was about to remove it. Gearclash you were right, I just had to give the engine more throttle and the slow hoist and outriggers started coming up.

Lifted the boom a bit, which was cool, and eased her back down. We got a squirter, sad to say the top of the main boom lift cylinder is leaking. Pretty bad. I have to raise the boom when the crane is in a better location (no overhead power) and see if I can at least hold it at a height cause then I could get most of what I need done with it for now. I guess if the piston seals are in better shape than the rod seals, it would hold pressure when raised. I'm surprised it's a double action cylinder given the weight of everything, but maybe the counterweight balances everything pretty well.

Anyone ever rebuilt the big boy? I guess my two questions are:

1. If I raise the boom, what is the intended or safe way to secure the boom in order to extract the cylinder.
2. Is contractors crane the best source for these seals? I got price quotes and I'm wondering if there are industry standard seals, wear rings, etc so I could save some money.