• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7E(old one) dosent want to start??

Oliver182

Hello have an old d7e with electric start that sometimes dosent want to turn over. Had times in the past it wouldnt turn over but would just click. Sometimes if you held the switch over to start after a bit it would crank over and start. Figured it must have been a bad starter so replaced the starter and solenoid. It seemed to work for a time but now back to not starting over half the time. The other day wasted half hour trying to get it going but no luck. Any ideas? like the old machine but not much use when it wont start.

Oliver182

Ok i will do that. It is strange how sometimes it turns over and starts and sometimes not. The other day it would just click and not turn over and came back a couple hours later and started right up. BTW when i turn the switch the other way to warm the manifold it works just fine.

grandpa

You replaced the starter, but did you check the solenoid that sit's on top of the starter again? Those bugger's are notorious for causing problems.

oldcrawlerman

Occupation
Jack of all trades
Just a thought, but you might check for Hydrostatic lock... coolant or fuel getting into a cylinder can cause that kind of problem. We had a D4C that acted that way and found that one injector was not always closing tight when the engine was shut down. New starter helped a bit until the solenoid contact burned a bit. Two new batteries, several feet of welding cable, two new solenoids, new starter...still had the problem. 4 new injectors solved the problem... In our situation.

ben46a

I'd start with the solenoid first, you can take them apart and flip or rotate the contact disc to a clean spot. My D5 and 933 are notorious for this.

Old Magnet

Also be aware that on the 24V starters the quality solenoids have silver inlay switch contacts. The junk versions just have plain brass contacts and burn up easily.