• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 226B Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing

AustinC

No it will not. 5A at 12v is 60W which is a bit different to 3W. The whole idea is to get a decent current flowing in the wire so that if it is in any way dodgy it will pop.

TBH all you need is an automotive lamp holder with a 60W incandescent lamp in it and a couple of wires soldered to the lampholder. See first few seconds of this LINK. Disclaimer - I would solder the wires to the lamp holder rather than just twisting them like he did, but hey ho........
Oh that's cool. Okay, one more question on the bulb. I have a 55w halogen in the garage, would that do the trick or do I specifically need a 60w incandescent for this test?

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Oh that's cool. Okay, one more question on the bulb. I have a 55w halogen in the garage, would that do the trick or do I specifically need a 60w incandescent for this test?
A 55W halogen would work. TBH you don't need a power probe, just some suitable lengths of wire to connect Batt+ to one end of the 202 Black wire, your lamp, and a piece of wire to connect the other end of 202 Black to frame ground if you are testing it to some intermediate point.

If you propose to leave 202 Black connected to ground at one end then basically all you need is a long enough length of wire to connect Batt+ to the lamp and another short length to connect the lamp to the exposed end of 202 Black. Simples.........

AustinC

A 55W halogen would work. TBH you don't need a power probe, just some suitable lengths of wire to connect Batt+ to one end of the 202 Black wire, your lamp, and a piece of wire to connect the other end of 202 Black to frame ground if you are testing it to some intermediate point.

If you propose to leave 202 Black connected to ground at one end then basically all you need is a long enough length of wire to connect Batt+ to the lamp and another short length to connect the lamp to the exposed end of 202 Black. Simples.........

Okay thank you. Before I continue with the test light I wanted to go out and locate wire 202 and I'm not finding it.

At the arm rest connection I'm seeing a black wire, 200-cn139. In the electrical schematic it's 202-cn139.

The ground that contacts the cab near that location has three wires contacting it.

200-cn32
203-cn125
203-PA127

I'm not seeing 202. Maybe there is a different electrical schematic for my machine?

Here is a picture of the three wires going to the ground. You can also see the connection to the armrest on the left.

20240510_114424.jpg

Nige

At the arm rest connection I'm seeing a black wire, 200-cn139. In the electrical schematic it's 202-cn139.
Believe the schematic. 202--CN139 goes right from the armrest switch to the cab ground in Grid H-11. Personally even if the 55W lamp lights fine I would be tempted (after having done that test not before) to disassemble the wires at the cab ground point and clean all the ring terminals, then reassemble.
While you are in there check the connection on the other end of the 7G-1060 cab ground strap is clean and tight.

1715374027542.png

AustinC

Quite simple.
An Active Diagnostic Code means the Code is there right now - Active in other words.
A Logged Diagnostic Code means that the Code was Active at one time but is not Active at this point. Therefore it is Logged in the ECM memory.

Attached the troubleshooting procedure for 1184-3. Let us know how you get on.

Before I move on with testing the armrest switch with the test light, I wanted to mention this and get some clarification.

The other day when I was going through the troubleshooting procedure for 1184-3, I had the wire harness for the Aux ECM unplugged in order to troubleshoot. After I followed the steps I never reconnected the wire harness to the ECM.

The following day, I went out to move the machine so I could pull my trailer out of the backyard. I forgot I never reconnected the wire harness but I was still able to start the machine with the Aux ECM harness unplugged. After I had started the machine and moved my trailer I realized I had forgotten to reconnect the harness.

So my question is, how did the machine start with the Aux ECM unplugged from the harness? What is the purpose of the Aux ECM?

Nige

So my question is, how did the machine start with the Aux ECM unplugged from the harness? What is the purpose of the Aux ECM?
Its full title is Aux Hydraulic ECM, which gives a clue as to its function.
There is nothing in it that would prevent an engine start. That is the function of the Interlock ECM.

I'm assuming that although you started the engine you never attempted to move the machine or operate the implements.?

AustinC

Its full title is Aux Hydraulic ECM, which gives a clue as to its function.
There is nothing in it that would prevent an engine start. That is the function of the Interlock ECM.

I'm assuming that although you started the engine you never attempted to move the machine or operate the implements.?

Okay got it. I started it, raised the bucked and dumped water out because it had rained and the bucket was full of water. That's when I realized the harness was unplugged. Should I have been able to raise the bucket with the Aux ECM unplugged?

Nige

Should I have been able to raise the bucket with the Aux ECM unplugged?
Yes because your machine is old style with pilot-operated implement controls, not the electro-hydraulic joysticks used on later C & D models. The implement lockout switch is an input to the Interlock ECM.

The only systems that are electro-hydraulic on your 226B are the controls that require push-buttons and/or the thumbwheel roller to operate.

AustinC

Yes because your machine is old style with pilot-operated implement controls, not the electro-hydraulic joysticks used on later C & D models. The implement lockout switch is an input to the Interlock ECM.

The only systems that are electro-hydraulic on your 226B are the controls that require push-buttons and/or the thumbwheel roller to operate.

Okay great, thanks for clarifying. I will follow-up once I use the test light on the armrest switch.