• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 310C what do I need to know?

A_Man

Howdy all, I bought a Case 310C. New to owning a crawler, wondering if there are any foibles or things I should look for? Or heck any stories about using these things?

Was hoping to find a pdf of the operator/service manual, but no luck so far.

Kyfarm

It would be helpful if you gave more details of what state its now in and what want to do with it. Then people with experience can help you with more specific questions.
Does it currently run and steer and stop? Are you wanting to build ponds with it, trails thru the woods, clear some brush, or just paint it and show it to the grandkids?
try to find the S/N (sorry I can't tell ya where to look) and post that on here, it will help a lot. and post a picture if you can, I love looking at old dozers.....

JimInOz

Google search for "Case terratrac 310c crawlers". Manuals show up there. TRADEBIT shows PARTS manuals.
The old 310/350 were a handy small crawler. The steering was their worst feature. You need to use the correct oil in the steering system.
steeringclutch.com sells aftermarket parts.

A_Man

Does it currently run and steer and stop?

Howdy Kyfarm, it does run, but needs some work, looks like engine is idling high, and the track-sprocket nut fell off. Someone had bodged it back on, and I don't want to move it until I get that sorted... Tracknut.jpg
SprocketDrive.jpg
Took a video to document repairs. I did not have a script, so it is a bit rambly.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/021pG1z8s7x4/

As you can see it is the backhoe model, ponds are in the future among other things (Grandkids being way way in the future :) )

SN is 40326xx

Welcome to HEF, A_Man

Thanks, wish I picked a better name, but it seemed clever when I was tired.

Google search for "Case terratrac 310c crawlers". Manuals show up there.

Nothing on a free pdf, I find it bothersome that all these places try to scam you on downloads; may just have to buy one. Feels grubby to pay for a public domain doc, but I may have to do it.

Kyfarm

wow, that is quite a machine. I strongly recommend getting an owners AND a repair manual for it regardless of the cost, they will both pay for themselves ten times over. If you can't find new ones try e-bay. I also don't trust any of the "download" sites, I think they are all scams. It is very important to find the serial number first though so you are sure you are getting the proper manual. What you will end up with is probably a manual for just the tractor, not the attachments. They will probably have their own manuals, specifically the backhoe. if you can't find the S/N call your nearest Case dealer and get help from them.

I've no idea of your mechanical aptitude but that looks like the kind of deal that there is unlimited work there IF you want to. You may be able to get it operating with only a small amount of work or if you want it like new, you could work/spend LOTS of money.

I'm no pro just a farmer with a small dozer but I'd find a mechanic or machinist have a look at that sprocket nut and shaft before I did anything else. Without that being attached properly i don't think you have anything more than a decoration. I'd imagine someone might tell you to weld that nut on there but if you do its a one time thing, the shaft will be ruined if you ever have to take the nut off, to be clear, I would NOT do that but someone might tell you that its an option.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welder Dave

Don't really need a tach on a loader. Save your money for required parts. I'm guessing you didn't pay too much for it. I would try to adapt a conventional loader bucket on the front. It would work much better. A salvage yard may have a small bucket.

A_Man

I strongly recommend getting an owners AND a repair manual for it regardless of the cost, they will both pay for themselves ten times over.

The online parts manual is HERE.

Did an online thing with Service Manual, Operators and Parts Manual. Service manual does not go into as much detail as I like.

Don't really need a tach on a loader.

They are like $13 on spamazon, figure it'd help me set Idle and make sure governor works.

Sprocket shaft is main priority for me, we got the nut off the other side and the first nut goes on that shaft fine, so thinking the threads on that shaft are worn more than the nut is. Threads on the shaft feel rounded over a bit, cutting new threads would not work since I need to add metal not take away.

Not sure what to do there as pulling the whole final drive shaft looks like a huge pain.

Also looking at parts manual it seems sprocket is off a different model (310c sprockets are more skelletonized), but that should be fine.

A_Man

@Tinkerer

Yeah I bought a pdf of what purports to be the 310 service, op and parts manual though the service manual does not go into the depth I'd like, guessing people back then didn't need as much hand holding.

I think the nuts are right looking at parts diagram, can see the 2 holes, this nut does seem thicker on the drawing but that could be an illusion.
upload_2022-4-11_8-23-22.png

Looks like the sprocket could be a 350 sprocket, I have seen some threads on using a 350 sprocket on a 310, maybe that is why I've got spacers that are not in the exploded view?

s-l1000.jpg

Kyfarm

Did an online thing with Service Manual, Operators and Parts Manual. Service manual does not go into as much detail as I like.

Sprocket shaft is main priority for me, we got the nut off the other side and the first nut goes on that shaft fine, so thinking the threads on that shaft are worn more than the nut is. Threads on the shaft feel rounded over a bit, cutting new threads would not work since I need to add metal not take away.

Not sure what to do there as pulling the whole final drive shaft looks like a huge pain.

If you could talk to a machinist you could find out about cutting new threads and getting a smaller nut to match. However, by the time you removed the shaft it would probably be cheaper to just install a new one. Unless there is a portable tread cutting tool. Pipe is threaded in the field, but I don't know about that shaft. Its certainly worth a few phone calls.

Tinkerer

I watched your video.
That nut is doomed to failure as far as staying tight.
There is a reason Case designed the nut with two dowel pins. That is the only way to prevent it from getting loose.
It is no wonder to me that the threads on the shaft are worn.
I think the only thing to do is drive the sheared off dowel pins out of the sprocket, unless they are in a blind hole. Although I doubt if they are.
Clean all the the threads thoroughly and use red lock-tite along with new dowel pins that fit tight in the holes.

Last edited:

A_Man

@Tinkerer

If you mean the 2 bolts in the nut, those are not sheared off, the thing sheared off is a bolt they tapped into the center hole of final drive shaft, that they used with a brace to hold the nut in place.

I may shoot another video; I'm thinking if I can get the sprocket to go in further so that it is flush with splines I may get enough good thread to screw the nut on.

Tinkerer

I understood the bolt in the center situation as you described it.
I didn't realize the OEM bolts were not sheared off.
I thought that was why the previous owner drilled and tapped the axle.
Broken Tractor offers new nuts for $35.00. He was the cheapest I found in an internet search.
The aftermarket nuts do not even have the holes for the bolts that the OEM ones did.
If it were mine I would never trust that bolt in the center of the axle to hold the nut tight.
I would weld a bead on the sprocket next to two of the nut flats.
I'm surprised that the nut hasn't already come loose and allowed the splines on the axle and sprocket to be damaged.

A_Man

f it were mine I would never trust that bolt in the center of the axle to hold the nut tight.
Yeah, that was a really bad idea for a repair. It probably just made things worse.

I'm surprised that the nut hasn't already come loose and allowed the splines on the axle and sprocket to be damaged.
yeah that is the good thing, looks like the splines are fine as far as I can see.

Also seems like the nut is not the big issue as it threads onto the other shaft tightly, whereas the other nut is also loose on this shaft. So an aftermarket nut is probably not the answer. If there is not enough good thread left on the shaft (If the Sprocket goes in more) the true longterm repair would be a new final drive shaft; unless there is a way to build up the old threads without removing the shaft.

A_Man

Alright shot some more video especially on how the nuts fit, and also some quick and dirty measurements of the difference in final drive shafts.

Looks like the loose one is about 80 thousanths smaller than the other one. Also noticed some more welding/grinding on the loose side's sprocket and the difference in spline teeth.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/NIcd91WkDviI/

A_Man

You may have called it, after getting the other nut off and pounding the sprockets in with a deadblow here is the difference in spline teeth

1 Pic of good side followed by 3 of bad side. I think the shaft is probably bad and the sprocket is probably bad, so maybe just find something to fill the gaps in splines, put it back together and run it until I find a deal on the new(er) parts.20220414_033640.jpg
20220414_033601.jpg 20220414_033604.jpg
20220414_033608.jpg

A_Man

Forgetting the engine/sprocket thing. One of the hydraulic cylinders does not want to move, and the spool lever would not go all the way, so after looking at the manual I pulled off the bottom cap and... Think I found the problem, now I'm gonna clean that out.20220704_113309.jpg 20220704_113335.jpg