• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can you successfully weld brake bands?

.RC.

Have broken a brake band on the D4D again.. At least this time I got it out of the access holes rather then having to remove that huge cover over the clutches/bevel gear compartment. it is a dry back end so three piece brake bands..

This is the second one we have snapped in the past fifteen years... I have ordered a new replacement part but was wondering if they are repairable by welding, so more of a hypothetical question..

20150307_093803.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .RC.

I don't know your tractor but when set up right most external contracting brake bands pull pretty much in a straight line there should be very little flex within the band itself . . . I believe it could be welded, particularly if you can add a doubler, some round bar or a bit of flat on edge.

Cheers.

lantraxco

Did you have any trouble getting the anchor pin out? Just wondering if it was partially seized, might have had something to do with the break. Yeah, I would weld it if need be, vee it a bit on both sides and use Eutectic 680 rod or equivalent. It's a modified stainless, welds cold, is stronger than spring steel and tough as armor. But that's just me. By the time you bought the rod and messed with it, it's probably cheaper to buy a replacement though. :drinkup

tctractors

You can weld them up without any issue, but you might want to check out the support bolt under the case, you need 2 spanners 3/4 AF it will stop the band damage you have there, also check the drum for lift and wear.
tctractors

p.s. the anchor pins are always easy to remove on D4D's you remove the top flat lid undoing the small bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the top anchor in place, the slacken off the band via the side window, lift out the anchor and pop out the 2 pins, press down the pedal(on the right peddle you use the park latch) slacken off the support bolt under the case, then unbolt the bands and jiggle them free, on a clean machine with no cab its about 2 hours to swap out both bands.

tctractors

Last edited: