• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Babbit counterweight stroke adjustment

KenQ

Anybody out there have experience with Allis screen with poured counterweight stroke adjustment?Babbitt weights are loose and require re pour.Looking for babbitt type and procedure

SC3220.jpgIMG_3219.jpeg

Tugger2

Experience with Rabbit? Cocoa-Puff and Mr. Mercury Jr. approve this thread.

View attachment 312000
I think he was meaning Babbit, not Wabbit.
Id probably melt out the existing Babbit into some kind of crucible or a cup fabbed up from some pipe. A wire rope shop should be able to supply some extra Babitt to make for enough to repour,just need to seal the bottom of the holes up to contain it.

Delmer

Babbit is bearing material as far as I know. You sure that's not just lead? Probably doesn't matter one bit, just curious. Either is going to shrink a bit if you pour it, so it will have to be pressed into place. I'd try either a large shop press, or a tool of some sort to place on the "soft metal" and smack it with a sledge hammer. I wouldn't be brave enough to hit it directly, but that would work if you're not afraid of missing.

Cmark

Shouldn't be too hard to pour new lead or babbit or whatever it is. The key will be giving them plenty of preheat, then wrapping them up so they cool slowly.