• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

299D No regen

Jeffrey Bandel

2013 CAT0299DLGTC00836

It started giving me the E1239-2 code (DPF #1 Conditions not met for Active regeneration). I parked it, put the parking brake on, made sure hydraulics were locked out and low idle. Left it for 20 minutes and came back.

Now I am getting E1239-3.

My question is what conditions need to be met for active regeneration?

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Thanks for posting the s/n. Are there any diagnostic codes active or logged? You'll find these under "diagnostics" in the display menu.

If not, this could be something as simple as a boost pressure or coolant temp sensor reading slightly off. Trouble is you're most likely going to need a laptop with Cat ET to see this. Also look for DEF leaks on and around your DEF tank and lines.

It started giving me the E1239-2 code
FYI the E1239-3 is just an "event" in your case and the -3 simply refers to the "level" (level 3 requiring an immediate machine shutdown if safe to do so).
A 1239-1 is a diagnostic code regarding fuel leakage which means nothing to us yet.
Confusing I know.

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
That's what the CAT service manual says to do. The manual has been wrong before.
It's the bit you mentioned about low idle for 20 mins that made me shiver slightly... I'd give it 5 mins to bump up the idle and regen next time. Better still bump up the engine speed manually from the get go. With a DPF nearing the full mark, every minute counts...
1696859646585.png

I am also getting the 174-3 Engine Fuel Temp 1 voltage above normal
Bingo.

As long as that code is active... Remove the plug from the fuel temp sensor and inspect for moisture. Bridge the two pins on the harness side. Key on, don't start. If it changes to a 174-4 voltage below normal, sensor is bad. If not, you have a wiring problem.

Sensor has two wires and is located on the high pressure fuel pump.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Bandel

Those instructions are for active regeneration which my machine is saying conditions are not met to do it.

Warning Symbol Machine Action Operator Action None If the parking brake and hydraulic lockout are engaged, the ECM may increase the engine speed No action required. 1 Amber If the parking brake is not engaged and the engine speed is below the green shaded area on the Engine Speed Control Knob, the DPF light will turn on. Increase the engine rpm to the green shaded area on the Engine Speed Control Knob, and the DPF light will turn off. or Bring the machine to a stop. Engage the parking brake and hydraulic lockout. Set the engine speed to low idle. The ECM will automatically increase the engine rpm to the regeneration threshold. The regeneration may take up to 30 minutes. 1 Amber 2 Amber 3 Amber The engine will derate until an active regeneration is completed (1) Bring the machine to a stop. Engage the parking brake and hydraulic lockout. Set the engine speed to low idle The ECM will automatically increase the engine rpm to the regeneration threshold. The regeneration may take up to 30 minutes.

Jeffrey Bandel

I have the CAT repair manual. The computer is telling me that certain conditions have to be met in order for it to do a regeneration. I'm trying to find in the manual the chart that shows which conditions must be met in order to regen so I can systematically inspect each condition. (I hope the fuel temperature sensor is a condition that needs to be met.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I hope the fuel temperature sensor is a condition that needs to be met.
So do I, but it's your best bet so far, as long as that code is active. Either way it's a fault that needs to be fixed.

Also apologies, I edited my previous post just as you replied. I do understand what you're saying.

I'll check the schematic.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
It's there.

1696862996017.png

1696863237354.png

If you find the plug suspect in any way there is a connector repair kit p/n 391-0247 also available it seems.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I tried to get that sensor out. I failed. You need the hands of a five year old to get to it.
That sounds about right unfortunately. I wonder if that has anything to do with the sensor being labelled "non-serviceable" on the schematic? It is available though, and so is the little plug connector repair kit.

Jeffrey Bandel

I can see the fuel temp sensor on my schematic. I can trace it back to the ECM. I just don't know if or how it relates to regeneration. Maybe that is controlled in the ecm and is out of my control.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can trace it back to the ECM. I just don't know if or how it relates to regeneration. Maybe that is controlled in the ecm and is out of my control.
I don't know for certain but would suspect that it's one of those inputs that will inhibit regen if the sensor is not supplying a valid signal to the ECM.

I agree with @Chrisso that you should fix the fuel temp sensor Diagnostic Code before making any more attampts to regen.