• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6h lgp no brakes

Smithpower

D6h lgp prefix 3YG
No brakes non what so ever or park brake, just purchased machine don’t now much about it engine seems strong and transmission shifts well. Any direction would be great. I have some manuals coming this week

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You’re going to have to go into the brakes & finals to find out what’s going on. The park brake is spring applied so even if nothing else works that brake should be on when the engine is stopped. The service brakes work on the same discs and plates. I think you’re going to find a bit of a mess when you pull it apart.

Smithpower

So it’s not possible for it to just be a valve of some sort or adjustment?
I have all the panels off and seat off did some extreme pressure washing found a valve body? Under the seat that the rod hooks up to from the pedal. Also the park brake does nothing it acts like it’s suppose to but I can barely be moving and flip it up and it does nothing. Thanks again

Nige

Try a little experiment on some level ground where you have plenty of space.
Run the machine at full engine RPM in 1st or even 2nd speed.
Flick the transmission control into neutral and hit the decelerator pedal.
Immediately switch off the engine. Does the machine stop or just keep rolling like nothing had happened.?

NOTE: Take care doing this and wear a seat belt because if the parking brake does apply it will try and throw you through the windscreen.

Post a Serial Number to look up detailed technical information.

Nige

I will try this but pretty sure I know the outcome. Thanks again
It will be the confirmation that the spring-loaded parking brakes are not applying.
I can think of two possible reasons for that. First that the brakes are worn out, second that something is happening to keep pressure in the brake packs against the force of the Belleville washers that apply the brakes.

See attached. Steering clutch & brake operation is explained starting from Page 42.

Attachments

• SENR3240.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 14

Nige

Just tried your experiment….nobody home for a brake she just keeps rolling
Time for some bedtime reading of the attachment above in that case. Then once you understand the theory of how everything operates (oil for releasing the parking brake and applying the service brakes is supplied from the transmission circuit via the priority valve and the steering/brake control valve) then it will be time to break out some pressure guages and start testing.

Nige

I've had time to reflect on this and feel that the main problem (there may be others) HAS to be internal to the brake packs. Why.?

Because the parking brake is released using pressure from the transmission pump and applied using the springs Ref #8 located inside the brake packs themselves. See the illustration below. So if there is no oil pressure (engine turned off with tractor rolling which is why I specifically asked you to do that test yesterday) then if everything is operating the way it should the parking brake should apply.

In summary: Engine off = no transmission oil pressure = parking brake APPLIED.

I see final drive removal & brake/steering disassembly in your immediate future. Sorry about that.

1714500198979.png