• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case forks top rod

outlawspeeder

I have a line on a set of forks that might work for me. They are missing the top rod? What size should the rod be? And is it soild?
The forks are 4foot tall / 4 foot long. The hole at the the top is a 2 ibnch hole. If that is not right . let me know. I've only seen pictures of them. My bucket had hooks but are bent over and would need to be built/bought.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
My I believe factory Case forks for my 580 SE is actually 2 rods a 2” and a 1” welded together, not sure if someone added the xtra rod. I had to straighten the rods out and now they slip right in the hooks.IMG_0027.jpeg

berky

My forks are aftermarket, but made in the US. The bar is 2” solid. Made out of 1144 stress proof steel. I have five brackets on my 96” front bucket. It does limit the available spacing options, but haven’t found a situation where they didn’t work. I have seen so many of those 3 support bucket with a rod that looks like a pretzel. Just not enough support for the rod.

outlawspeeder

I've seen forks without the bar. I figure someone had to cut it to get it off the bucket. I like the support part but 1144 is a poor choice if welding caps on the end.
It will go with more hooks. It sound like the rod is 2".

berky

Don’t understand why anyone would want to weld on caps on the bar. What do you do if you want to remove the bar? I used double split shaft retainers on mine. For about $15 each (2” shaft) you now make the bar serviceable. I knocked mine out myself on my lathe and milling machine. The 2” ID ones you can buy only have a 3”OD. I wanted something giving more surface area where it bears on the outside of the IMG_0351.jpegIMG_0352.jpegbucket brackets so I made mine about 3-5/8 OD. Adjust their placement on the bar by leaving about 1/2-3/4” clearance on the bucket bracket. It can move but not much. IMG_0352.jpeg