• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where's the good jobs?

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I've been living and working in Florida as an operator (trackhoe, loader, dozer) for about 2 years. The pay scale seems to max out at about $15./hr. and benefits are slim.

I love the work but I think I'm ready to make a move. I do like being able to work year round, and I love the fact that I travel with my company (mostly southeast states), but I do think that, in general, operators get a raw deal down here.

I would love to find a job elsewhere, and I am able to move to just about anywhere.

Does anyone have any insight as to where the demand for operators is decent, along with the pay scale. And any advice on how and where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Nice forum. Thanks,

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
Ever think about Nevada?
$15 an hour sounds more like starting pay.I've been with this company over 13 years,never seen a layoff,due to lack of work,our field super is always complaining about not having enough experienced help.
Everyone else seems to have the same problem.

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I actually did think about Nevada because my company has an office in Reno but from what I understand, it's hard to transfer with them, and if I did my pay would remain the same.

Can you tell me some more about it, like do you work mst of the year? Does your co. have decent benefits, and what's it like living there?

I'm single and pretty much looking for an adventure along with a new job. I not the type to switch job a lot, so I really need to find a job that is somewhere that I would lke to settle down and stay for a while. So I'm pretty much open to anything.

Thanks for the reply,
Ken

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Just keep in mind that pay scales will usually reflect costs of living. Here in the northeast, it's not unusual for an operator to earn $30/hr, but we also face home costs starting around $500,000. Add to this $10,000 annually in property taxes and that $30 doesn't go to far.

Not trying to discourage you, but you must factor this into your equation.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Something I've been noticing over the last few years is the lack of young up and coming operators and contractors. I work here in western washington and this observation came up in a discussion with another contractor and timber company employee today. They are also noticing the same thing and there's a concern we'll eventually have a shortage of good operators. While this is bad for the folks doing the hiring, it will definitely boost wages for those still in the field. The more we talked, the more we realized this is occuring in a lot of the natural resources (blue collar) type work.

I don't know if our observation is accurate, but it sure seems to be. Are others noticing this or do you think we're crazy? If this is occuring throughout the country, it may open a lot of possiblities for new operators like Digger2.

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
Come out to sunny Kali-fornia, we have the Govornator that is trying to bring as many jobs into the state as he can.

Like posted above the cost of living is almost the highest in the country but the $ is good. Gas right now is $2.20 for 87 octane and diesel is $2.34 per gallon.

In southern California $500,000.00 will buy you a 5-10 year old 2-3 bedroom house with NO property; Or one of the new condos on my current job site. If you have an ocean view its a million easy.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
For you wimps that are willing to give up the sunshine there is always work in Alaska. It may not be what you want but if you are willing to work it is here. and the wage goes up when the tempature goes down.

PAYTON

Charter Member
Occupation
OPERATOR
im located in indy local 103 im make around 25 an hour work is usually 9-10 months a year some places work year around and if you really want theres always work just gotta do some ****** jobs. chicago is a nice area to work but then again there work session is more like 7-9 months but they make a bit more then i do. ive travel a bit and its good money but it gets old after a while but always open to try new things. thats why im actually going back to school to finish my engineering degree . gotta be ready to go into more then one direction.
hth

payton

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
I've been a heavy equipment mechanic in the Vegas valley for 22 years.Never been without a job,and I've had the current one for 14 years.Las Vegas Review-Journal is always full of ads for operators,mechanics,and drivers.
We are one of the smaller outfits,70 employees,and most of us have been around for 5 or more years,10 are over 10 years.Never seen a year where 40 hours a week wasn't "guaranteed",personally,the only time I see a 40 hour week,there's a holiday involved.
Our benefits might not compare to a union company,but I've had 3 kids on our insurance,and have no complaints about paying $100.00 a week for dental,heath,and vision.Copays are $30.00,drugs are $10.00.$25K life insurance,company pays premium.Paid holidays,after 90 days,1 paid personal day after every 90 days,5 days vacation after 1 year,10 days after 2 years.
Only unemployeed people,that I know of,around here,don't want a job!

Digger2

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
This is all great information. I really appreciate it, and I have made up my mind to move west. It will take me a little while but it seems like a perfect plan. Best I can figure for now is that I'll take my next 2 week vacation out there in a few months and check it all out. I don't have enough money saved to just get up and go, or I probably would. That will most likely be my biggest slow down. I'm sure that I'm in for a shock when I see the cost of living differences from what I'm used to here in Florida.

If anyone has any contact information for the unions out there, it would be a great help.

Thanks again,