• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What kind of bed is this and what should I do with it?

MG84

I'm purchasing this IH 4700 pictured below for my farm and construction business. I need a truck with a 14 ft flatbed for hauling materials, tools, equipment, etc and pulling a 22K pintle hitch trailer. It currently has a 14 foot "stake bed" on it, but the sides are not removable like an ordinary flatbed with stake sides, It also has a 3000lb lift gate. This truck came from Pepsi, I'm guessing they used it to pickup and deliver vending machines and drink coolers but IDK. The bed itself is very heavy built, cross-members on 12" centers I believe. Has anyone seen a bed like this before? Is it worth anything? Should I try to sell the bed complete with lift gate or cut it up and make a flat bed out of it? Thanks
00E0E_9HeG2G6w4Fu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00q0q_byUwtD1KaBs_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

MG84

I think your idea of repurposing it as a flatbed will be your best return on your money.
That was my initial thought, torch the sides off leaving the headache rack, weld on some stake pockets/rub rails and call it done. Would probably remove the lift gate and try to sell that, It’d be handy but also in the way 90% or the time. I hate to cut up a good bed that someone could use but it might be the quickest/easiest/cheapest option. I can’t find any used 14’ flat beds for less than $2500, new they are $5-6k.

MG84

After getting the truck home and doing a little more ponderin and ‘cipherin, I think I’m going to leave the bed and lift gate as is for the time being. In its current state I can’t side load materials, but the sides with e-track and the lift gate look like they may be very handy for a lot of what I do. Will be a good setup for hauling tools and small equipment while towing my trailers. Working on getting a pintle hitch installed, then it’ll be ready for service.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Had bed similar to that on a '99 4700 we used as a service truck. The lift gate is handy as a shirt pocket and if it works around what you haul I'd keep it.

What's the spec's? Those model 4700 and 4900 trucks with a 466 were very reliable trucks, I've owned several.

crane operator

I have a f-450 with a little crane and a lift gate. When I bought the truck I thought the crane would be handy for putting offset in a 70 ton crane we were using at the time. I was ambivalent about the lift gate.

Today- I'd cheerfully pull the crane off- it doesn't have much capacity and I've got all kinds of other lifting equipment.

But you would have to pry the lift gate from my cold dead hands. I love that thing.

One of my sides folds down, and that's super nice for forklift loading.

MG84

Had bed similar to that on a '99 4700 we used as a service truck. The lift gate is handy as a shirt pocket and if it works around what you haul I'd keep it.

What's the spec's? Those model 4700 and 4900 trucks with a 466 were very reliable trucks, I've owned several.
Its a 2000 model 4700, 32000 gvwr, DT466E 190hp, Allison MT643, air brakes, 5.29 gears, A/C, cruise, radio, everything I wanted except an air ride seat. Also would have preferred one of the higher hp configurations, although these 190 horse diesels do get excellent fuel economy.

Have played with the lift gate a little, never used one like this that folds up vertically above the bed. Seems pretty versatile, can be lowered while still vertical for forklift loading or backing up to a dock, can also be mechanically locked flat with the bed. Not sure if it’s legal but that’d allow you to haul loads longer than the bed, within reasonable weights of course.

Last edited:

MG84

I have a f-450 with a little crane and a lift gate. When I bought the truck I thought the crane would be handy for putting offset in a 70 ton crane we were using at the time. I was ambivalent about the lift gate.

Today- I'd cheerfully pull the crane off- it doesn't have much capacity and I've got all kinds of other lifting equipment.

But you would have to pry the lift gate from my cold dead hands. I love that thing.

One of my sides folds down, and that's super nice for forklift loading.
Something I’m considering is making one or both of the sides fold down like a contractor dump. Haven’t figured all that out yet as they’d probably be too heavy to fold down a full 4’x12-14’ side. Still need to keep some structural integrity to support the lift gate. We’ll see how it works as is for a while, then might explore the fold down side(s) further.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Its a 2000 model 4700, 32000 gvwr, DT466E 190hp, Allison MT643, air brakes, 5.29 gears, A/C, cruise, radio, everything I wanted except an air ride seat. Also would have preferred one of the higher hp configurations, although these 190 horse diesels do get excellent fuel economy.

Have played with the lift gate a little, never used one like this that folds up vertically above the bed. Seems pretty versatile, can be lowered while still vertical for forklift loading or backing up to a dock, can also be mechanically locked flat with the bed. Not sure if it’s legal but that’d allow you to haul loads longer than the bed, within reasonable weights of course.

Nice. The last one I sold was 466 190HP 5sp with air brakes. 25,500 GVW.

Shouldn't be difficult to add an air ride seat. Does it have the bench seat?

MG84

Yeah has a bench seat. Compared to my 153” wb dump trucks the ride isn’t terrible, longer wheelbase definitely helps.

Question for those who own(ed) stake bed trucks. What are the legal requirements for tying things down in the bed? If small objects or materials are below the bedsides do they need to be tied down?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Inside need be restrained for sudden events, braking or acceleration, anything with Gaseous has to be capped and solidly restrained upright or in a delivery position for product. Boxes need to be securely covered. Loose materials need blocked from inadvertent discharge.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
A lift gate is a handy tool. I have one on my work truck (half ton). It is rated for 1300 pounds. Makes loading plate tampers, concrete man hole risers etc, even getting in and out of the box easier.