• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo Wheel Loader not moving engaging in forward or reverse L120c 1998

BigDutchman

Got an older Volvo loader , runs great, was hesitant to go into gear sometimes. Giving it throttle and i would then go . Stay good whole day , shifts
through all the gears perfect ... Let it sit same thing, changed tranny filter, and suction screen on bottom of tranny, put new oil premium 30wt non detergent .
Now can get it to engage forward or reverse... Loader is L120c . and ideas before days of trouble shooting would be grateful! loader located in east texas
15k hours

Welder Dave

I think you mean can't get it to engage forward and reverse... What trans. oil does it call for? Haven't seen 30wt non detergent specified too often. Usually something like Hy-tran, TO-4 or ATF. Have read where the specific type of oil and weight can make a huge difference. Maybe be a torque converter issue like a leak too.

BigDutchman

I did atf and to4. But with high hours and warm temperatures in texas , good heavy duty 30wt works well in out tranny equipment.. I'm wondering a leak, because I could get to engage forward or reverse with high rpms, but now nothing.. wondering if there is a relief valve somewhere on converter or tranny

Cliffy

I know nothing of volvo loaders, but i have Been caught out before with other machines doing the exact same thing. Usually changing oil and filters on high hour machine and wont self prime when the pump is mounted above oil level. You can try to prime pump but my guess is a worn out pump.
Could also be a suction leak.

BigDutchman

I'm hoping just a air leak of some sort, we gonna do a pressure test after getting the right fittings couplers, the pump is internal unfortunately