• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo G900 series

farm_boy

Has anyone had a chance to get some time on one of Volvo's new graders? I haven't and was wondering if they were any good. Is there are anything that you like/dislike about them?

Thanks!!

Mass-X

I spent about an hour in a G976 a couple months ago while it was being demo'd. I was grading roadbase in between the garages in a motor sports park. It seemed alot like a Komatsu blade to me. It sat high and had decent visibility. What I really liked was the amount of downward force the machine had. On some densely packed haul roads (631's and 637's running on them) the machine would cut right into them effortlessly. A 14G on site could barely touch those roads.

What I really didn't like was that it felt very sluggish in first gear, even in the creep mode. Even really laying on the throttle to keep my controls nimble, it still felt sluggish. While running it around on the haul roads in 2nd and 3rd gear it was alright. I flipped through the owners manual to see if I'd switched it into creep mode incorrectly, wrong mode, etc., but I'd done it correctly. The others two blade hands had similar complaints and it ended up being replaced with a CAT 140H.

farm_boy

Thanks Mass-X

I have a buddy that sells these and all I ever hear from him is how great they are. I have personally never set foot in one. Most of my grader stick time has been in a Deere 772D or 872D. I love these blades:thumbsup Great power, super quiet, great visibility and smooooooth tranny.

Just my opinion though.....:wink2

Mass-X

Volvo must be doing something right as I'm beginning to see more of their blades around.

I've yet to get any seat time in one of the new John Deere blades, but they're becoming more common around here. When a local contractor won the bid on over a thousand miles of Commuter Rail and Trax Rail lines, they bought 7 or 8 brand new John Deere blades. I got to talk to one of the company's grading superintendents and he had nothing but good things to say about the machines.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Quick question, are Champion and Volvo building the same machine? They look almost identical. I know very little about graders, except that the Cat M series is going to mop the floor with all of them pretty quick. :bouncegri

Grader4me

Quick question, are Champion and Volvo building the same machine? They look almost identical. I know very little about graders, except that the Cat M series is going to mop the floor with all of them pretty quick. :bouncegri

Volvo bought out Champion a few years back, but they are still using the Champion name. The graders are pretty much the same.
I agree with you on the Cat M series :wink2

What I really didn't like was that it felt very sluggish in first gear, even in the creep mode. Even really laying on the throttle to keep my controls nimble, it still felt sluggish. While running it around on the haul roads in 2nd and 3rd gear it was alright. I flipped through the owners manual to see if I'd switched it into creep mode incorrectly, wrong mode, etc., but I'd done it correctly. The others two blade hands had similar complaints and it ended up being replaced with a CAT 140H.

Is this grader set up with the VHP (variable horse power) ? On the Champion that I used to operate (1996) in first & second gear it was putting out around 170 HP and when you hit 3rd to 8th it put out 205 Hp.
So I am still in the dark ages...how does the creep mode work and what are the advantages? Kind of curious as to what the HP is set at while in creep mode. Maybe it is cut way back while in this mode and that might be the reason for it being sluggish?:beatsme

Mass-X

Cascade: "the Cat M series is going to mop the floor with all of them pretty quick."
From my perspective, I agree. I can't wait to get into an M.

I find it interesting that in talking to other blade hands, the older guys all act very skeptical about the M's, saying that CAT may have made a mistake by completely altering blade controls. While the newer generation such as myself all seem eager to get into one.

G4M: "Is this grader set up with the VHP (variable horse power)?"

I don't recall.

G4M: "how does the creep mode work and what are the advantages?"

From what I remember, it's front wheel drive and regulates the machine to very low speeds. I remember the manual saying the setting was best suited for fine tuning your grade. Since that's what I was doing, I switched the machine into the setting and still didn't like the way the machine handled. I had very little material on the blade as I was only placing it into low spots, and cutting out a little fat, but both in and out of creep mode, I didn't like the way it felt.

The machine was heavy and powerful which were both attributes I liked, but when I'm finishing, I'm mostly in first gear, and I wouldn't have wanted to spend very much time in first gear in that machine.

Grader4me

Good information...thanks. I have never operated a grader with "creep mode"

I find it interesting that in talking to other blade hands, the older guys all act very skeptical about the M's, saying that CAT may have made a mistake by completely altering blade controls. While the newer generation such as myself all seem eager to get into one.

You have to remember that us "older guy's" are set in our ways. I for one might be a tadd "skeptical" of my ability to making the adjustment toward a completely different control pattern, but never skeptical of Cat making this change.
I am sure as well that any of us older guy's would jump at the chance to try one of those puppies. :)

Deas Plant

More experienced Vs 'Older'

Hi, MassX.
You deliver a Cat M series to my front door and leave the keys in it and see just long it doesn't take me to get my ample butt into that seat. And I've quite possibly got a few years on some of you young
'whippersnappers' who like to hang out here and kid you've been at it for a while.

Then again, you may have a few years on me? I've only been operating full time on or in one machine or another since February, 1960. With a few years before that on farm tractors and small dozers while I was still going to school.

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! Think Ah'll jest have a 'carffee' an' lay down fer a while ter rest mah weary bones.

Occupation
owner of ProTek Sandblasting & painting
i live about 20 min away from the Volvo plant here in Ontario, i have may friends that work there in the paint department, apparently these unit are different in many ways from the original champion grader, one thing i do know is the quality of paint now used " Sico Chem solid" is not near the quality it should be- but the union there was screaming for a material that had less VOC,s and easier to apply do to lack of experienced painters.Chemsolid is a vegetable based coating and lots of mills are required to meet industry standards. I myself am a firm believer of epoxy/poly-urethane for all heavy equipment, it requires less film build higher gloss and color retention and ultimately a far better system. As far as powertrain goes i believe it is a Volvo application.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I recently read an article in a trade magazine about Cat's research and development of the M series grader. In it they stated they took both experienced "old timers" and inexperienced new operators into training sessions with the new machines. They said that the seasoned operators became well acclimated after less than an hour in the new machines, while new operators trained much more quickly than in stick operated graders.

I've never been a grader operator, but I have to admit that I find the multi function pilot controls in backhoes, loaders and skid steers much easier to operate than their old multi stick counterparts. It takes a little getting used to like anything else that is new, but once you get the hang of it you wonder why it took so long for someone to have thought up the solutions, they seem to operate naturally.

Deas Plant

I'm jest a natcherly LAYZEE 'B'.

Hi, Steve.
I was visualising the finger lever steering that Cat's D10 and D11 'R' series machines now have around 25 years ago and thinking to myself how easy and simple it would be. I have to admit though that they bettered my thoughts with their trans control arrangement.

I learned to run excavators (See how lazy I am? 'Run' 'cos I'm 2 tired to type 'operate'.) on the old 'four-stick' (Ackshully 2 stick n 2 pedal.) Hitachis and Katos. Then I came across a JCB 6D and a Hymac 580C, both 'joystick' machines (of sorts) but with incredibly different layouts. The JCB was closer to what we know today but the DIPSTICK who designed it couldn't even get the single functions on each stick right. To use a single function on either lever, you had to move the stick diagonally, not sideways or up or down.

Now the Hymac 580c was a different beast altogether. The swing function was controlled by 2 pedals on the floor. They were on a rocker arrangement so that when one went down the other came up. Press the left one to slew left, press the right one to slew right. Great stuff. I had used almost that exact set-up in a Marion 191M diesel-electric face shovel around 10 years before.

Next, you had 2 great long joysticks coming up from the floor. Pull the right back or push it forward and the boom went up or down. Pull the left to you or push it away and the dipper went in or out. Great. Works just like you'd expect it to. So far, so good. Then if you pushed or pulled the right lever sideways, the bucket opened or closed. Again, about what you'd expect.

Then they had throw in this gem. Moving the LEFT lever sideways operated the second stage hoist function, raising or lowering the boom quicker. I always thought it would have made more sense to have first and second stage boom hoist on the SAME lever.

And both the JCB and the Hymac had one of the dumbest arrangements for travel controls that I have ever seen. The levers were down beside the seat and moved backwards and forwards. So far, so good. BUT, they clicked into position. Nice when you were walking from one spot to another but abominably STUPID when you wanted to do something fiddly, like load it onto a float. More often than not, when trying for neutral, you pulled them straight through into the other direction. And they were almost impossible to 'feather' as you need to be able to do when performing fiddly operations.

Then there was the International 3980 by Yumbo of France. It had an 'almost joystick' set-up. Hoist fore and aft on the right stick, dipper fore and aft on the left stick. Pretty normal so far. BUT, to slew right, you pulled the LEFT stick toward you and to slew left, you pulled the RIGHT stick toward you. And what of opening and closing the bucket, you ask? Well, that was two pedals on the floor under your right foot - and you had to change pedals to change from opening to closing or vice versa.

Let's leave Stupidity Corner there. I'm too tired to type any more. LOL.

EquipmentEditor

farm_boy

Hey EquipmentEd....when are we going to see articles like this in the trade publications?:naughty

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...iat-vs-2004-nissan-titan-se-crew-cab-4x4.html

I know there are lots of people (many of which are on this forum) that would love to see indepedent and objective view of the equipment we all make our living from. There will always be the Ford vs Chevy, BMW vs Mercedes and more relavent to this forum the Cat vs XYZ brand.

I am an avid reader of Car and Driver and really like the comparison features they print. I have actually used these to make purchasing decisions on some of my vehicles. I would think that there would be a great demand for this type of feature story.

What does everyone else think about this??

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I would definately like to see something like that. There must be a reason why it doesn't happen more often though. :beatsme

farm_boy

BTW Equipment Ed.....thanks for the props to the forum in the latest edition. I just saw it last night. Is that something that is planned to run every month or was it a one time shot?

For those of you that don't know what I am talking about, check out page 22 of the Feb 07 issue of Construction Equipment magazine.

Here's to you E.E. Salute! :drinkup

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Our new Volvo G976

Hi guy's

This is my first posting and a smal test...
I se there is som discusion round the new Volvo's.
Here is some pictures of our new Volvo graders. This is the first one, we are awaiting 5 more... (4 in military green)
All will be delivered with complete servocontrols.
More info on the servo's is comming.

Attachments

• lite for heavy.JPG
    lite for heavy.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 921
  • litebilde.JPG
    litebilde.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 914