• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

truck and trailer tipped over

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
this accident happened on the site i work on today me and another guy dragged out the driver out he "only"broke three ribs!!!

Attachments

• DSC00039.jpg
    DSC00039.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,017
  • DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,532
  • DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,588

grunk36

Occupation
two more

Attachments

• DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,508
  • DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,500

JDOFMEMI

Other than the obvious, What Happened??

The ground looks flat and firm in the pictures, the truck is lined up straight, the load looks to be free flowing granular material.
Was it the wind?
Did the tailgate not open? is there a hole we can't see?

Looks like a mystery from the info we have.
Can you enlighten us so we may all learn a little more?

knucklehead98

Other than the obvious, What Happened??

The ground looks flat and firm in the pictures, the truck is lined up straight, the load looks to be free flowing granular material.
Was it the wind?
Did the tailgate not open? is there a hole we can't see?

Looks like a mystery from the info we have.
Can you enlighten us so we may all learn a little more?

I agree with you, I see no reason for it.

p.s.
Tailgate is open

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
well,duh... it's a side dump.

grunk36

Occupation
well its a mystery for us also but we think that either it was the tailgate who didnt open(its open on the picture but that can be forced open in the fall)or if you look at the picture of the cylinder it looks twisted in the joint that is broken so maybe thats the reason but the driver was completely confused he has ben driving for 25 years and never tipped over

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
truck and trailer tipped over:

I'll admit that I might be a bit slow to comprehend... but I'm totally lost on this one. :confused:

p.s.
Tailgate is open

I'm not following this tailgate part at all... :eek:

I can see it's on it's side... but what caused it to tip over...(other than gravity... :p)???

OCR... :)

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
red arrow shows the shows the tailgate.............:beatsme

Attachments

• DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,353

OCR

Occupation

(its open on the picture but that can be forced open in the fall)or if you look at the picture of the cylinder it looks twisted in the joint that is broken so maybe thats the reason

red arrow shows the shows the tailgate.............:beatsme

Thanks for the red arrow tonka... but I could see the gate was open form the
previous pictures. And I agree with grunk36
(its open on the picture but that can be forced open in the fall)

If the tailgate wasn't open when the load was raised to dump, would that
necessarily tip the truck over? I know that the material would start spilling over the sides, and maybe cause an uneven weight distribution from side to side... which could cause a tip.

or if you look at the picture of the cylinder it looks twisted in the joint that is broken

This might be a more likely scenario... it looks like the lift cylinder tore away from the left mount on the box. That could cause the box to fall some what and be forced and twisted to the left by the remaining mount that was still connected on the right.

Actually, the cylinder started pushing and twisting the box to the left... and shifting the material that way too. Eventually, the load was so uneven, it
bent the lift cylinder.

The truck was already past the point of no return, and when it hit, the cylinder detached from the right side mount.

What do you think???...:beatsme

OCR

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
This might be a more likely scenario... it looks like the lift cylinder tore away from the left mount on the box. That could cause the box to fall some what and be forced and twisted to the left by the remaining mount that was still connected on the right.

Actually, the cylinder started pushing and twisting the box to the left... and shifting the material that way too. Eventually, the load was so uneven, it
bent the lift cylinder.

The truck was already past the point of no return, and when it hit, the cylinder detached from the right side mount.

What do you think???...:beatsme

OCR

You beat me to it...when I saw the lug (that is broken) had bent to the right side of the truck......you'd think this could only have happened when the lug intially broke and the dump body tried to twist out of the other lug (on the left side)........so go spoil someone else's party:rolleyes::D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
What do reckon Squizzy I think its cos the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!

You could be on to something there. When I first saw it I thought what a waste of a good Volvo!.

I wonder if he forgot to dump the airbags??. Must be a horrible feeling when she starts to go. Fingers crossed:(

OCR

Occupation

What do reckon Squizzy I think its cos the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!

No... the steering wheel is on the left side... that's the right side...:lmao... :lmao

OCR

grunk36

Occupation
i am almost sure that what has happened is the joint on the lift cylinder that has broken and then twisted to the right that is also what the mechanics said today but a mess what so ever

by the way we heard from the driver today three broken ribs in the right side two bend in the left a serious head broose and an punktured lung it can be dangerous to drive an truck:(

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
i
by the way we heard from the driver today three broken ribs in the right side two bend in the left a serious head broose and an punktured lung it can be dangerous to drive an truck:(

Sorry to hear of his injuries, and hurt pride no doubt but it would seem like it was beyond his control.
Now if the steering wheel had been on the right side where we all know it should have been then the driver would not have suffered such injury as he would have been lent on the door already rather than having to fall the full width of the cab ;)