• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tilting house

TFPace

Guys,

I am new to this forum and hope to gain some info.

I have been digging footings for 7 years with a NH 885 skid loader and Bradco 611 backhoe attachment.

This method is average at best :eek:

I dig in the mountains / modulars and mfg.housing and a tilting house makes a lot of sense to me. It appears that Gehl is the only company that offers this feature?

http://www.gehl.com/const/Product_Detail/prodpgdt_373.html

I am told that the backfill blade is the solution to this on non-tilt machines.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom

BIGBEN2004

It is about time someone thought of that. The only thing I can say is a swivel quick attach would also solve that problem at less cost and also you coulg buy what ever size and make machine you want and aren't stuck going with Gehl.

ror76a

It is about time someone thought of that. The only thing I can say is a swivel quick attach would also solve that problem at less cost and also you coulg buy what ever size and make machine you want and aren't stuck going with Gehl.

Drott had a tilting house back in the 70s. There machines were a bit bigger though.

Lashlander

I've ran a Drott 35 and a Drott 50. This was an awesome feature of those machines. The main trouble with them was the fact that when you get the slightest bit of wear on the connections you rock and roll when your digging and dumping over the side. It was a constant battle to keep them tight. And yes, it got greased constantly!

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
That's innovation! Only problem is that it's hinged only on one side, but that eliminates the headaches and extra weight that you have with the older Drott's.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
gehl mini's are actually tacheuchi mini's so i suspect they are trying them out on the gehl's and after they get feedback they will come out on tach's too.

pwrstroke6john

Ive never seen excavators like that, I know that timberjack, or deere now make feller bunchers like that.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Drott 50 controls-info

I've ran a Drott 35 and a Drott 50. This was an awesome feature of those machines. The main trouble with them was the fact that when you get the slightest bit of wear on the connections you rock and roll when your digging and dumping over the side. It was a constant battle to keep them tight. And yes, it got greased constantly!
OK Ill say this first, I have been operating heavy equipment, most of my life. I just bought a Drott 50 to do some stuff around the farm. I have had Drotts, Cat, Komastu, Case, JD but this has got me a little confused. I just got the machine today and this is what I found, with the control (if I remember correctly) it does have tilt cab and hydraulic joy sticks and the loud 6V53 detroit
(tilt cab) is RH-joy stick
(steering) outside pedals
(bucket curl) RH inside pedal
(boom up) LH joy stick
(Boom in) LH inside pedal

Try jumping on this machine and loading it on a lowboy, it will give you the Pucker factor
Im thinking that someone has messed with the hoses, but why put the tilt on the joy stick?
I do have the service manual, but it was late when I got in and I didnt get chance to look at it

Question, does anyone remember what the Drott 50D, (with joy sticks) controls are/were?

I plan to weld up the tilt cab function and plug the lines, I hate to see a machine, in the morning, that looks like it fell asleep and just fell over LOL
Im really going to do this, to get rid of the possible leaks, from about 25 hoses that are in this tilt cab circuit.

Looking for any useful info about this old machine
Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Willis,
Sounds like someone got kind of stupid when hooking up the pilot hoses for that machine. We used to put together the controls to any configuration the operator wanted. As I recall I used to like the boom control being the right side handle and the stick control on the left. The swing was usually the left inside pedal on the floor and the right inside pedal was the bucket. Again as I recall the right handle side to side was the house tilt.

LashLander,
I agree on the sloppyness of the house cylinders. They also use to leak off over night as Willis states. You could hardly crawl up on the machine in the mourning to check the oil.

I really think the bucket tilters are a better less expensive idea.

Jaybuild

Years ago I had a Case 1080 that had pilot controls. We changed the hoses around to standard Case backhoe controls (joysticks) with the inside pedals for travel and the left outside pedal to tilt the house, the right outside for aux. We had a pin on 48" grading bucket with the "wrist-o-twist".