• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help identifying old grader

AKG1963

Hello,
I am about as new as you can get to heavy equipment. I just inherited a road grader and I want to learn how to run it for maintaining a 1/2 mile drive way, and for snow removal. I cannot find any identifying markers on it. No brand name, no model. All I can tell you is that it's yellow and fairly old, probably 40-50 years old. I'd like to figure out what the model is so I can see about getting a manual to run it and maintain it.

I've attached a photo. If anyone has any clues about this, please let me know.

Thanks
AKG

Attachments

• 20210714_070718.jpg
    20210714_070718.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 151

Delmer

There are going to be numbers on it somewhere, even if it's only numbers stamped in the engine. Usually you'll have a plate near the engine or cab with model number. Keep looking. ID'ing the engine will help, and you can figure it out just by comparing to other graders, but the plate will tell you a lot faster.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Hello,
I am about as new as you can get to heavy equipment. I just inherited a road grader and I want to learn how to run it for maintaining a 1/2 mile drive way, and for snow removal. I cannot find any identifying markers on it. No brand name, no model. All I can tell you is that it's yellow and fairly old, probably 40-50 years old. I'd like to figure out what the model is so I can see about getting a manual to run it and maintain it.

Thanks
AKG
I
Hello,

Thanks
AKG
Austin Western for sure, need more pics of the rear

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Based on your location an Austin Western Pacer 100. What make of engine is in it.? I'm going to hazard a guess at it being a small Detroit.
If it was on our side of the Pond it would be an Aveling Barford 99H.

View attachment 242209
Again Hige is 100% correct.

Tones

Occupation
Having operated it big brother, the Super 500 you'll have to stand up to operate. Now don't go using it as a dozer. It has 2 gear levers that are at crouch height and you'll be singing like a soprano if you hit anything hard.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I see the Op's machine has Orbitrol steering. That's a bonus. The standard "tiller bar" steering control on the A-B machines (Orbitrol was an extra cost option) was excellent for grading work but could be "interesting" when tramming the machine on the highway, especially if the steering ball studs had a bit of play in them. Hair-trigger would be the best way to describe it.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Having operated it big brother, the Super 500 you'll have to stand up to operate. Now don't go using it as a dozer. It has 2 gear levers that are at crouch height and you'll be singing like a soprano if you hit anything hard.
My Dad operated a Super 500 from new,V6 Detroit, snowing, front blade taught me how to operate a grader many yrs ago. His last grader was an Averling Barford 6x6 with a Bedford Diesel, will dig out pics

Tones

Occupation
My Dad operated a Super 500 from new,V6 Detroit, snowing, front blade taught me how to operate a grader many yrs ago. His last grader was an Averling Barford 6x6 with a Bedford Diesel, will dig out pics
All the Aveling Barford's I have seen were Leyland powered . A Bedford powered may be a rear one.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I saw them go out of the factory in the 70's with Leyland, GM, & Bedford engines. GM's were popular in the larger machines with the solid frame, they needed the extra power. Last time I came across an SG21 (Super 500) it had a Scania engine in it which apparently was factory installed and not a retrofit.

Tones

Occupation
Leyland engine's must have been a NZ thing inAveling Barfords, Austin Westerns were GM powered .