• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Low power on an International 2007 4300 DT466

Good afternoon we have a DT466 engine that is very slow getting up to speed . Trouble codes on dash screen are 1:1 613A and 1:4 613P . Are these related to the poor engine performance . Thanks !

Swamper

Check for holes in the 1/4 line going to boost on pump,rub the line with finger to see if you have a hole rubbed in back side of line

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
The A means active. The P means previous. That 613 has to do with your environmental controls. So, nothing to do with the engine.

Dt360
4-53
6v53
Turoflow
There's lots of those codes for medium duty low power.
Till I'm done listing I may run out of page.

Any how have you checked the basics as in air and fuel filters
Yes I did , the filter is new and the screen has been cleaned . Have a fuel supply pressure of 55 .

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
What screen? You said 55 psi delivery pressure. You mean lift pressure? The lift pump is the thingy on the end of the HPOP. Speaking of HPOP, that engine is intolerant of leaks in the HPOP system. Little seeps coming out of that manifold on the side of the head is enough to make it run poorly. That’s a steel gasket in there that’s prone to leaking. Speaking of leaking, make sure you got no diesel leaks. Fuel leaking out means air leaking in. Make sure your fluid levels aren’t changing in wierd ways. Coolant should never change on a cool engine. Every engine burns a little oil, so make sure your oil level isn’t going up, or staying the same. What’s tricky is if the engine is burning oil at the same rate the fuel system is adding fuel to it. Check your blowby. Check your boost. If all that looks good, it’s probably time to bust out the servicemax and do some diag on that engine.

mekanik

I am assuming you are checking the pressure at the quick coupler on the fuel filter cap. 55 PSI is on the low side the manual calls for 65 -75 PSI. There is a stainless steel restricter/orifice in the bottom of the fuel filter housing, its bad for getting debris on the seat causing low fuel pressure. Take it out and blow it out with compressed air. You can usually clean them , the last one I replaced was $107. It takes a 7mm allen socket to remove it.

Have a good look at the bottom of the filter cavity, is there a lot of dirt and rust built up? if so it will need to be cleaned, its a bit of a pain to get the housing out because of all the stuff in the way. You will need the special O-ring where the housing bolts to the intake and four olives for the steel lines.

The 04 to 07 DT466 did not have a fuel return line fuel returns through the restrictor/orifice to the fuel inlet so any dirt and rust will keep going from the restrictor/orifice through the transfer pump and back into the filter head until the restrictor/orifice has a buildup on the seat again which does not take long.

I am assuming you are checking the pressure at the quick coupler on the fuel filter cap. 55 PSI is on the low side the manual calls for 65 -75 PSI. There is a stainless steel restricter/orifice in the bottom of the fuel filter housing, its bad for getting debris on the seat causing low fuel pressure. Take it out and blow it out with compressed air. You can usually clean them , the last one I replaced was $107. It takes a 7mm allen socket to remove it.

Have a good look at the bottom of the filter cavity, is there a lot of dirt and rust built up? if so it will need to be cleaned, its a bit of a pain to get the housing out because of all the stuff in the way. You will need the special O-ring where the housing bolts to the intake and four olives for the steel lines.

The 04 to 07 DT466 did not have a fuel return line fuel returns through the restrictor/orifice to the fuel inlet so any dirt and rust will keep going from the restrictor/orifice through the transfer pump and back into the filter head until the restrictor/orifice has a buildup on the seat again which does not take long.

What screen? You said 55 psi delivery pressure. You mean lift pressure? The lift pump is the thingy on the end of the HPOP. Speaking of HPOP, that engine is intolerant of leaks in the HPOP system. Little seeps coming out of that manifold on the side of the head is enough to make it run poorly. That’s a steel gasket in there that’s prone to leaking. Speaking of leaking, make sure you got no diesel leaks. Fuel leaking out means air leaking in. Make sure your fluid levels aren’t changing in wierd ways. Coolant should never change on a cool engine. Every engine burns a little oil, so make sure your oil level isn’t going up, or staying the same. What’s tricky is if the engine is burning oil at the same rate the fuel system is adding fuel to it. Check your blowby. Check your boost. If all that looks good, it’s probably time to bust out the servicemax and do some diag on that engine.
Morning the screen I mentioned is actually the little strainer basket in a housing that is screwed onto the bottom of the fuel filter housing . I checked the fuel lift pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel manifold at the front of the engine . I dont have a quick connect tool to do it at the fuel filter housing .
I will check the orifice you mentioned . Thanks for the responce !

As far as we can tell there are no fuel leaks .