• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

LGP vs. Reg tracks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!:drinkup

LGP stands for Low Ground Pressure, the tracks are generally wider and sometimes have a longer carriage so the machine's ground pressure is reduced. It's similar to having flotation tires on a 4 wheeler. They are used in sandy conditions and often in forestry where the machines are required to disturb less of the ground when working.

Conditions would dictate whether they would be more beneficial or not.

Last edited:

shaper

Charter Member
Occupation
Golf Construction & Irrigation
LGP machines are far superior in wet conditions and on slopes. They are great for tracking in your work. In the golf construction world we use LGP almost exclusively. Its also nice that with the wider tracks you also get a wider blade.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
And on the downside...

They would also have higher costs associated with them. Bigger and/or more individual parts (wider pads, perhaps more or heavier rollers), that will cost more/each when you need to replace them, and the fact that you're putting more machine in contact with the ground will result in an increase in wear and tear with every turn you make--not as bad on the above mentioned wet conditions, but on dry or rocky ground, certainly more prounonced. You need to judge the benefits against these kinds of costs.

(Disclaimer: I don't have any direct experience paying for the maintenance of an LGP machine, so I could be misinformed, but that's just what I've heard along the way. I'm sure somebody else here will be able to verify or refute what I just said.)

And BTW, welcome, DennisJonesCon, to HEF... :)

Last edited:

JIM VILARDI

Occupation
Senior parts CSR
LGP

ROUGH TERRAIN WILL PLAY HAVEC WITH AN LGP TRACK, BECAUSE
ALL THE PRESSURE OF THE MACHINE WILL LIE ON SMALLER POINTS OF THE SHOES INSTEAD OF THE ENTIRE SHOE SURFACE.
WITH ALL THAT WEIGHT ON SMALLER POINTS THE SHOES WILL BEND OR BREAK.

ALSO, THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD FOR A CRAWLER DOZER
IS HIGH SPEED REVERSE. ALWAYS TURN AROUND IF YOU CAN, OR TAKE IT EASY GOING BACKWARDS.