• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu d20 starter electrical problem

Robert Jesurun

Had a bad starter and got it rebuilt. I have entire wire harness removed from machine and am working in garage. With all batteries conected to starter I can only get starter to spin by jumping it at starter. The switch will not power starter. In checking with a meter none of the wires are carrying any voltage yet the starter has voltage at its terminals.

wbvs58

Sounds like you haven't got the low current side of the circuit earthed or back to the negative. I take it that you are just bench testing things.
Ken

Delmer

That would be "grounded" back to the negative. Also, Japanese machines can have start relays much more complicated than what you see on average equipment.

So are you testing the starter, or the whole harness? "Jumping it at the starter" are you jumping the big terminal to big terminal or big terminal to little solenoid terminal to get it to spin?

mitch504

See the post in the section for D21 thread about the safety relay from the alternator, This could well be your problem

Robert Jesurun

Sounds like you haven't got the low current side of the circuit earthed or back to the negative. I take it that you are just bench testing things.
Ken

Not sure what you meant ken? I have dash and switch out and all are on bench, and wired to bateries and starter.