• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Iveco Eurocargo 2001

muzz

Hi, Looking at buying an Iveco Eurocargo 2001 truck. Google suggests rust might be an issue, but are there any other known problems with this sort of truck/engine? Don’t need anything flashy but don’t want to buy a lemon. Cheers

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi Muzz - Not sure about NZ imported European, parts costs - but those European-built Iveco's have poor resale here in Oz, after about 15 years of age.
Reasons being -

1. Dreadful cost of parts (most European stuff falls into this category, of course). If you can source aftermarket parts, the prices are more reasonable - but aftermarket parts for these European Iveco's usually have to come from Europe, anyway!

2. Electronic problems galore with advanced age. They contain an excessive level of electronics, and wiring and harnesses age and get damaged, and European electronic parts are the most expensive of all!

3. Poor quality hardware in the cabin. Broken handles, broken door locks, broken switches, any European part made from plastic, is suspect.

4. Brakes that tend to rust up, if not used regularly. The pistons seize in the calipers, and more expensive repairs are on the cards.

When a Tector engine blows (it happens, more than you would expect), the major cost of overhaul is not warranted because of the low resale value of the truck.
I've seen more than one Eurocargo for sale with a blown engine. I guess you could repower with a different brand of engine (Cummins?), if you were keen.

An Isuzu of the same age is a far superior choice - even if it's done a lot of kms.

Isuzu haven't ruled the truck market Down Under since the late 1980's, for nothing - their products are nothing short of superb - built like the proverbial brick dunny, parts are plentiful, minimal electronics, and not a whole lot goes wrong with them.

Even an old Mitsubishi or Hino would be a better buy than the Eurocargo. We call the Eurocargo "the company truck" here - only big operators buy them, and can afford the parts and repairs on them.

Pony

Yep, I was dumb enough to buy one.
2015 with 70k km, 4yrs old at the time.
Sold it 3 yrs later, wirth 90k km, would not have another if it was given to me.
Had and still have a 2001 Isuzu, bought with 396k km, now 510k km, 10x the truck.
With my Iveco, electrical issues galore, motor was trouble free.
Run away.

skyking1

I bought the shop's old isuzu with the 4bd1t engine, got it going and parted it out for a profit here. Those engines have a cult following and it probably went into a Yota landcruiser. I got it with designs of building my own, but the current truck serves all those purposes.