• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Information needed

Playswithdirt

Hi, this is my first post in these forums. I just bought an acre with a house on it and we have a lot of land work to do. I am looking for a machine to remove lots of concrete, dig holes for a fence, dig trenches for drainage problems, regrade front and back yards, till a garden area, move snow, haul wood, etc. I am fine with renting implements for the machine. I went and looked at a 2001 Cat 216 and really liked the hand controls. It needs some work, but seemed like a tight machine. The guy wanted 12k for it which I thought was pretty high. It has 3700 hours on it. Also have my eye on a 1997 bobcat 763 with 1400 hours. The guy wants 10,500 for it. My question is am I in the right ball park with this? Should I be looking at a tractor with 3 pt instead? What else should I look for? Thoughts? Opinions for a newbie???

RobMonk

Are you particularly handy mechanically? I Have a Thomas T-133 that I bought for $2500, painting, welding and changing axle seals right now. Bought a cat 311B for $20k because it needed the final drive rebuilt. Moral of the story if you are handy buy something that needs a bit of work you will save loads of money. If you are not handy mechanically, hire people to do your yard work, you will save thousands as equipment is expensive to maintain.

Also I bought my equipment for the same reason, just 110acres, so I understand where you are coming from

Last edited:

Shenandoah

I am looking for a machine to remove lots of concrete, dig holes for a fence, dig trenches for drainage problems, regrade front and back yards, till a garden area, move snow, haul wood, etc. [snip] Should I be looking at a tractor with 3 pt instead?

I would imagine that if the sole purpose of the purchase is dedicated to just the one acre you'd be better off looking for a small tractor and not a skid steer. A small tractor with a front end loader, a box blade, bush hog, York rake, and if you want to spurge, a backhoe, would do everything you need.

Added: Head on over to http://www.everythingattachments.com/ and watch some of the videos Ted did regarding tractor attachments and imagine your needs while you watch them.

Last edited:

Playswithdirt

The cost effective used tractors I can find are the Chinese tractors which I am not terribly interested in. Also, it seems like the skid steers and tractors are not too far off in price. What would be the advantages of a tractor over a skid steer or vice versa???

RobMonk

Skid steers are horrible vehicles for virtually everything except spreading and moving things (like soil, snow, wood...) and they are quite quick. We have a saying around my neck of the woods about tractors "There is nothing you can't do with a tractor - There is nothing you can do with a tractor" In other words it does lots of things, all substandard. you can fix them with a rubber band and a bent nail though. IMO neither will do everything you want.

Shenandoah

The cost effective used tractors I can find are the Chinese tractors which I am not terribly interested in.

Regarding those type of tractors, the only advantage they seem to hold IMHO is the "little down, low interest, low monthly payment" for folks who don't know squat yet about tractors. Ironically, a guy I know bought a Kioti CK30 last fall under the pretext of 'he thought a new tractor of that class would out-perform his old tried and true vintage tractor' and when he went to fire it up this weekend the battery was dead. Now, after 8 monthly $200+ payments he's starting to see the light.

The point is this...a good quality older used tractor (non-Chinese) will be more than adequate for most peoples needs, including yours. And as a bonus, the higher weight of the tractor will give you better ground engagement and assuming equal tread on the tires, better traction. And at a fraction of the cost.

And once you're past the initial stages of work what you'll want is a good all around machine to do routine maintenance. Now as a disclaimer I need to tell you that we don't own a skid steer so I'm biased. Land we have plenty of, and we have a handful of tractors, so I'm more familiar with those. Other folks here who are skid steer owners may think the opposite of what I'm proposing.

Bottom line...from what you've described a decent 35 to 50 hp tractor in the $7500 range will probably last you a decade or more, and the implements can be bought in the hundreds of dollar range as opposed to the thousand of dollars range.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Playswithdirt I reckon Shandoah is giving good advise . . . stay with the tractor or more specificaly stay away from a skidsteer . . . that PTO sticking out the back is handy for running a tiller, slasher and so on.

The Chinese question is difficult. Our market is vastly different to yours but I have been shopping for a decent 4x4 50hp tractor with a four in one. Anything reasonable Case, JD, NH, Massy and so on are around twenty five grand or better . . . and you don't know if they've been flooded. One JD I looked at had a new seat and some new wires which made me suspicious. (he grins)

I'm not much into repairing stuff these days and for less money I can buy a new Chinese 55hp tractor from a long established firm who give 12 months parts and labour warranty. I figure I can do all the improvements on a thirty acre parcel of land we own in the warranty period, increase the lands value/saleability and (hopefully) still end up with a decent tractor.

Incidently the Kioti Shenandoah mentioned in his post is not Chinese it is South Korean and over here is seen as a higher grade marque than the Chinese brands, they have a very good reputation . . . I think Shenandoah is a bit rough though, anything can have crook battery.

Cheers

Shenandoah

Incidently the Kioti Shenandoah mentioned in his post is not Chinese it is South Korean and over here is seen as a higher grade marque than the Chinese brands, they have a very good reputation . . . I think Shenandoah is a bit rough though, anything can have crook battery.

Scrub Puller is correct, Kioti is not only a S. Korean tractor, it's also a decent machine as well. The point I was trying very poorly to make is that a newer tractor does not necessarily relate to getting the job done better. Older tractors can cost effectively produce very good results, and a huge benefit is they are drop dead easy to work on, as well. :)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Playswithdirt!:drinkup

Hi, this is my first post in these forums. I just bought an acre with a house on it and we have a lot of land work to do. I am looking for a machine to remove lots of concrete, dig holes for a fence, dig trenches for drainage problems, regrade front and back yards, till a garden area, move snow, haul wood, etc. I am fine with renting implements for the machine.

Is it a typo that you bought an acre with a house on it and want to buy a machine to work on that sized property?:confused:

Back to the question at hand if I was looking for a machine to perform the many tasks as you listed it would be a skid hands down. I am not a fan of a tractor for the tasks you listed, I cut my teeth on skids so I know their value and versatility. Rent an auger, maybe a hammer and buy a set of forks for the skid in addition to the bucket that should come with the machine. Depending on the size trenches you need for drainage, rent a trencher attachment or a mini-ex for that work.

A 763 Bobcat is hard to kill and a good machine. The 1997 machine you are looking at with 1400 hours is priced a little high but I am using my local area to compare to. That machine in my area would sell for $7000-8000 depending on condition. Don't have any experience with the Cat skids, just Bobcats but all my heavier iron is Cat and has served me well.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm not trying to be wise, I'm having trouble understanding the need for a machine like this on a 1 acre lot with the house already built. For what you've listed I'd expect a month or two of weekends would have all the work done. Have you considered renting machines as you need them? I'm just thinking it would probably be more cost effective and you could rent the machine best for each particular job.

That being said, I wonder if a 25 to 35hp tractor, Kubota, Deere or New Holland with loader, backhoe and 3 point hitch might be the ticket? The jobs might take a little longer to do than with the skid steer, but with a 5' mower deck you could make short work of your weekly mowing. I've run both types of machines and each has their pros and cons for each job.

Playswithdirt

I'm not trying to be wise, I'm having trouble understanding the need for a machine like this on a 1 acre lot with the house already built.

You sound like my wife ***. I guess the simple answer is "because I want one" and "who wouldn't want a skid or tractor"??? Also, ongoing snow removal, helping neighbors out, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Playswithdirt

Well don't know what happened there. That was supposed to be a smiley face!!! I am sure he is all of five stars!!! Just like my wife :)

Randy88

Do whatever you want, I own both tractors and skidsteers, a dozen or so tractors, two skid steers, I tell everyone you can take my tractors, but nobody is taking my skidsteers anywhere, they'll be the very last piece I'll ever part with, just my opinion, now that said do some searching on the web at auction prices, and look at what dealers and jockies are asking in your area. I know what you mean about because you want one, some things in life don't make economic sense, I can certainly understand that, I've got sheds full of those purchases.

Now to help narrow your search somewhat, you've been given some idea's to go off of, I'd venture one further, rent a machine for a weekend, or several machines for several different weekends, call it a test drive and find out what you like or dislike, no different than finding a vehicle or anything else, ask for a demo on your property if possible, then look around and find out who sells and services what, locally, brands mean nothing if you can find parts or someone to help you out when your knuckle deep in oil and totally out of idea's how to fix it or what's wrong, service is key in my opinion, then parts, brands mean nothing to me.

If you plan to fix it yourself and do your own repair, maybe look at older one's instead of newer one's, they have less electronics on them and depending on the make and model, are easier to fix, your not going to wear anything out anyhow, it'll save you some bucks.

If nobody has told you this, machines are addictive, its almost a disease, so says my wife, collecting them and attachments are something that never ends its just a beginning, just make sure whatever you get, it has auxillary hydraulics on it, the single most important thing on any skid steer, if you go with a tractor, a three point, pto and hydraulics are needed