• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Holland semi tractor 5th Wheel:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
How do you identify these? I cannot locate a tag anyplace and the adjustment nut is all the way in so needing at least a minor rebuild.

Thanks,

1693TA

Occupation
Yes, it has been to both extremes on the rod with the nut. It is an older unit as we installed it onto the truck back in late 83, or early 84 and it was from a used and salvage, (burnt) truck then, so no idea to age. It has always had a little slop in it and it's not too bad still, but I'd like to get it repaired or replaced before putting the truck back into service routinely.

I need to pull it from the frame and remove the spacer we built all those years ago to drop the mounting height which is currently 52" level. New trailers I'm looking at are 48" king pin plate height. All those years ago I hade a mechanical folder trailer and the high 5th wheel was needed.

Would like to either rebuild this 5th wheel, or even possibly replace it. Not loyal to Holland, nor Fontaine as have both and no problems from either. Don't have a clear photo of the plate itself but can grab one later this morning if helpful.

020.JPG080.JPG081.JPG

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
I think, but not sure it is this one. I have the pivot pins the plate rotates upon that are retained with bolts on the underside of the casting and this series is the only one found matching that. Also the pull handle on mine matches this descpription:

Fifth Wheel.JPG

Truck Shop

Yeah it's a old 3500- the revised later version # I'm thinking is rk351. The real difference is
in the jaw pins and pivot pins. The late series is easy to remove the pivots where the old is
torch the pins off in sections and drive through. But not a problem to get a kit for a old style
3500, just get a new set of pivot pins and stand bushings. 48" is the standard height for a
13'6" configuration.

1693TA

Occupation
Yeah it's a old 3500- the revised later version # I'm thinking is rk351. The real difference is
in the jaw pins and pivot pins. The late series is easy to remove the pivots where the old is
torch the pins off in sections and drive through. But not a problem to get a kit for a old style
3500, just get a new set of pivot pins and stand bushings. 48" is the standard height for a
13'6" configuration.
Fantastic, and thank you.