• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl 603 & competitors, steel or rubber?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
So my deere 450c trackloader / backhoe is in the shop getting a new motor. They are alot cheaper to buy when not running. Now it isn't even together yet and my neighbors are wondering when I can come over and do this and that for them with it. So if work is going to continue to build, I want to get another machine. I'm going to keep the deere for around the farm and I might take it out to a job now and then if its the right tool to have.

So basically I want a machine to replace the hoe on the back. The machine should be semi turf friendly, as I'm turning down jobs where turf damage could be extensive if I took my trackloader in there.

The machine will be used for trenching, digging for garages, house additions, maybe some prep for concrete porches or sidewalks, digging graves, maybe septic work, maybe the occasional house if i can't get my trackloader there.

I'm in a really rural area where curbs are not too common, and rocks, and roots, or burried metal can be. I'm thinking that a steel tracked 12k pound mini might just be the thing to have. I've seen rubber tracks torn up by operaters using them as small dozers. And I've had to carry plywood so we could move a rubber tracked mini thru lawns. So If I have to carry plywood anyhow, why not just get steel tracks.

Make an model wise I'm open. I like my Gehl dealer alot, they think a 603 would be perfect for me. Other than that cat, case, deere, komatsu, kubota, and volvo can be considered. Comparing specs the gehl seems to do well. According to the dealer nice things like pattern changer, and a plumbed stick are standard. Dealers is asking $66k I think for a c/h/a 603 on steel.

What would you all do? I don't want to go over 8' wide for transport reasons.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If I was in the market for any small equipment, I would look at used first. There are some really good deals on mini-hoes out there. $66k is alot of money for a mini, I have seen some newer mini's with low hours in the $20K-30K range.

I don't know much about Gehl, never owned one.

mini

im looking at purchasibg a Gehl 503 z 2005 what do you think of this machine it would be my first mini ex