• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis FR12, ZF 4WG-120 weak converter engagement

FTV

Hello everyone!

New user on this forum here, greetings to you from Norway.

I recently got my hands on an old Fiat Allis FR12 from 1985. It's not much to look at, but im hoping to make it a reliable tool here around the workshop for those tasks that are just to heavy for the forklift.

There is one issue though, that i need to sort out before i can dare to start investing any more of my time and money on it. It has a very weak drive, even in the lower gears it is struggling to pull itself up my not-so-steep driveway. The same is true for every gear, back and fourth. The engine revs up as if was in neutral, hardly needing any effort at all.

The seller told me that it tends to get better when the transmission is hot. I have not had it at the 60-90 deg celsius operating temperature yet, because im hesitant to drive it around much untill i know im not damaging anything, but from what i can tell it seems to be a little stronger when lukewarm than when cold. But not by much.

When i start the machine cold, the transmission pressure takes a good 10 seconds before it comes up. When the pressure is up, its right at the upper end of the green scale. When shifting gears the pressure drops to zero, and takes about three seconds to climb back up. This goes abit faster as the transmission heats up.

I am waiting for a new transmission filter, when i get it i will replace the filter and the oil. I have not drained or inspected the oil yet, because i might need to move the loader around while im waiting for that effin filter. Access to parts are a bit slow up here... But i have atleast topped up the oil to the correct level. The oil looks fine on the dipstick.

I have been struggling to find good manuals on the gearbox, but am i right in that the converter is bolted directly to the engines flywheel? And the bell housing is wet? That's what my research has led me to, and it shure looks like it when im peeking into the machine from the outside. The reason im asking is because i found a missing lid on a bellhouse inspection hole today, on the left side of the engine below the starter motor. Looking through the hole i can see the flywheel, and reaching in with my fingers i can feel the teeth of the starter ringgear. And there's not a drop of oil to be seen, the back of the flywheel is bone dry even when the motor is running. That's... wrong, right? I would have expected there to be a fountain of oil gushing through that hole.

As you can probably tell im not very experienced with torque converters. So if anyone would like to brainstorm this issue with me, i would very much appreciate it.

Also, on an unrelated note: The loader has a nameplate on the left side that says 580FR10, why would that be? It is definately not an FR10, all the other nameplates says FR12, and the scales on the semi that brought it here measured it to be roughly 12 tonnes.

Thank you, i wish you a very nice day.

Attachments

• 20240531_125247.jpg
    20240531_125247.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240531_195247.jpg
    20240531_195247.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Girkasse.jpg
    Girkasse.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Hi FTV,

will share a manual of a 4WG150 in conversation. The 150 got some more discs in clutches, the rest is same as 4WG120. And list of lubricants.
Guess, the converter bell housing is bolted directly to engine flywheel housing. Externally converter is running dry. Oil type should be 10W or 15W, regular engine oil.
With slow pressure build up it seems too thick oil filled in.
Oil level about 50 to 70 mm below center output shaft, engine idling, tranny warm.
Brakes spinning clear?

FTV

Thank you for the manual.

Ok, so the flywheel housing/bell housing being dry is not a concern? Good to hear. Part of my "research" was from watching this video: Fiat Allis FR12 loader engine removal, where a gentleman is removing the engine of a loader like mine, and the housing is dripping wet. But as i watched it again today, i noticed him mentioning the seals were probably bad. Guess my seals are fine then :D

Too thick oil, that's quite possible. Who knows whatever oil the last guy poured into it. Im going with a 15W-40 mineral engine oil that should fit the oil specs in the pdf you sendt me. Thanks again for that.

The brakes are not hanging, it will rool down my driveway just fine in neutral. In fact only the rear brakes seems to work anyway, because the front disks are covered in rust.

I'll post an update once i've had a chance to work on it some more. Still waiting for that filter too.