• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dead 1846c

colson04

When you're working alone and the skid steer dies, use a bigger loader
20240629_133226.jpg20240629_133259.jpg
This skid steer blew a return line to the tank while scraping the barn and dumped the entire hydraulic reservoir. I used the forks on our Komatsu WA180 to pick it up and move it. First I moved it over to our wash station to clean a years worth of manure off of it. Then into our shop so I can tear into the belly and find the blown hose. Window on the big loader is filthy from dust and a slight drizzle earlier.

And yes, I do know there are bypass screws on the pump drive for towing, but why screw with that when you can pick it up and carry it.

Welder Dave

When the idiots replaced a drive motor in mine, they failed to properly tighten the hyd. filter. Lasted maybe 15 minutes before it loosened enough for the fluid to get pumped out. Thankfully just before it lost the fluid I had it idling as I got out to check the grade. I got back in, revved it up and went about 15ft. and then nothing. I saw oil so shut it off right away. I didn't want to work on it there but I had an idea. I stuck the back end in my track loader. I wasn't quite able to lift the whole machine but lifted the wheels enough I could drag it backwards on the bucket. I thought a hose right behind the filter blew so took it off and it looked OK. Just out of curiosity I grabbed the filter and it turned easily. I should have went back to that damn place and got them to replace the 2 pails of new oil I just paid for. They also ground the self tapping screws holding my heater on flat because they weren't smart enough to use an impact driver to remove them. I needed to move the heater to adjust the drive chain that was slapping around in the case because they forgot to tighten it. Their labour cost was also almost 3 times what they had originally told me. I'll never go back there. They had a very inexperienced mechanic that I don't think even had his ticket yet. The parts manager is an idiot too. Didn't know how to look up the right parts book for my serial number. After waiting 3 or 4 days for a temperature sensor, it had the wrong wire connection. Took it back and a younger guy looked it up by my serial number. Here it is and we have it in stock and it's half the price of the other one. Incompetence at it's best.

colson04

Well, I finally got to sorting this machine out. I was wrong about what line had blown. I pulled seat, foot rest panel, and both belly pans to clean this mess out.20240630_085357.jpg20240630_085418.jpg20240630_085431.jpg

colson04

This hose
20240630_202417.jpg

is leaking underneath this mess:
20240630_202440.jpg

I got it all cleaned out and found the leak. Machine is going to stay down until the 8th as I'm on vacation for the week. Once it is operable, it'll go back to wash area to clean out the belly of the machine better before putting pans back on. I scraped five 5 gallon buckets of oily, grimy slop out of the belly of this machine, not counting what was stuck to the belly pans when they were pulled. Worst part was the straw. It wove together into a mat around hoses, bolts, etc that fought every move to remove the mess.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Damn I though our machines had disgusting belly pans! :p

I can handle the oily gunk it would be the straw that messes with my allergies.

Welder Dave

Yeah, that's a mess that took a while to accumulate. I'd think it would be a big fire hazard too. It would be nice if machines had slide out belly pans to make cleaning easy.