• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R xl

w38571

I'm looking at a couple of 6R's One is Ser # AAX the other is a 5LN. Other than the model, what is the difference in these dozers ? I there a major mechanical difference ?

cyclone77

Occupation
Owner operator of kansas oilfield Dozer service
My first Dozer was a 5ln 2000 D6RXl IG it was a great machine, sold it 3yrs ago when it had 15000+hrs! Replaced it with a '05 6RXL AAX machine I have put 3000hrs on this machine and really like it, have had to put a final drive on it and numerous wiring issues, but still a strong machine. Noticeably better fuel consumption from the later model machine

DPete

I think the 5LN was a 3306 engine the AAX is a C-9. I have AAX1326, nice machine but like Cyclone77 above we have had a few sensor issues, parking brake switch, nothing major yet, machine has + or - 8500 hrs

cyclone77

Occupation
Owner operator of kansas oilfield Dozer service
The newer AAX machine has the newer style "pilot" controls for blade/winch hydraulic functions which is a great upgrade if you are sitting in the operator seat all day long, much less fatigue at the end of the day!

w38571

Are the C-9 a computer controlled engine or just an electronic engine ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Are the C-9 a computer controlled engine or just an electronic engine ?
As far as I'm concerned a computer-controlled engine is an electronic engine. But to answer your question the AAX machine has a fully integrated electronic system for the engine, powertrain control, and the Monitor System. There is an ECM for each one, so a total of 3 ECMs on the machine.

The 5LN machine has a mechanical engine, the rest of the machine (powertrain & monitor system) is basically the same as the AAX.

w38571

a total of 3 ECMs on the AAX machine ? What do they control ?
The guy says it's got original hours, can this be checked thru one of the ECMs

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
DPete,

Mind telling me how you diagnosed that parking brake switch malfunction? Have a similar problem with a D4G, but am not getting any responses to my thread.

Cat dealer yesterday told me there are over a dozen sensors on a 4G that could be the problem, so without the CAT diagnostic software ($1300/yr.) I am starting blind on this one.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
a total of 3 ECMs on the AAX machine ? What do they control ?
The guy says it's got original hours, can this be checked thru one of the ECMs
3 ECMs - one for the engine, one for the powertrain control, one for the monitor system. Each ECM should have a "Diagnostic Clock" on it (not 100% sure about the Monitor System but certainly the other 2 will have). The DC values for each ECM should tie in with the hour meter reading on the dash panel. They are never exactly the same but are usually within 50 hours or so.

DPete

DPete,

Mind telling me how you diagnosed that parking brake switch malfunction? Have a similar problem with a D4G, but am not getting any responses to my thread.

Cat dealer yesterday told me there are over a dozen sensors on a 4G that could be the problem, so without the CAT diagnostic software ($1300/yr.) I am starting blind on this one.
I had the dealer hook the ET up, wish I could be more help. The trans lost 1st gear in both F and R so I sent it in for diagnosis and the codes showed parking brake switch. Apparently the switch malfunction had to do with the trans ecm not letting the 1st gear shift. I would have never guessed that on my own, sometimes the machines out smart you and you have to get help. This is another example of costly complex machines of today

w38571

Do you know where the ECM are at on the machine & how to scroll thru to the clock on each ECM ?