• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d6r series 2 c9 vs d6r with 3306

ibfarmin

just bought 6r xl series 2 with the c9. everything in the past has had the old pc 3306 or di 3306. what is every ones take on this machine vs the older 6r's as far as power, fuel economy, reliability. any advice on do's and don'ts on this machine vs the older ones? what is the best engine oil to run in these engines, I am hearing to keep it clean and change often? this one has about 10k hrs on it and only had injectors and pump replaced in last 1k hrs. are these trans any better or worse than the older d 6r's ? what is the recommended oil for them, I am used to running 30w engine oil in my old 7g trans.

Charles Orth

d6r series 2 c9 vs d6r with 3306

Good luck. Our local cat dealer won't tell you anything on a serial number unless you already own the machine. If someone will run one here, I have one I would like checked too.
carobd2shop.com

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'd be running a minimum of CI-4 or preferably CJ-4 SAE15W/40 oil in the engine and be anal about changing oil and filter on a VERY regular basis.

For the transmission a branded SAE 30 oil meeting Cat TO-4 spec would be the way to go. I wouldn't recommend using a straight 30 engine oil in it.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
for my 10c worth; from what I have read on here the C9 is only a boat anchor compared to a 3306 when it comes to reliability. Any saving the C9 has in fuel consumption is lost through the expense of fuel pumps/injectors and getting the dealer to sort it out. At least with the 3306 any injector problems could be fixed on the spot quite easily. And that dear old PC engine still burned as clean as with just a huge heat haze from the stack once the boost caught up. :notworthy
Am curious as how a D6R compares to a D7G; yes I know its all newer; but from a owner/operator persons point of view ??? The man who has to pay for everything, and not just sit in seat ! I might have to think about a D6H-2 or D6R, but it sure as night follows day will have a 3306 in it.
Have seen 3306s do 18000 hrs with just basic maintence; if everything newer is supposed to be better then we should be seeing a longer service life. Not a new way for cat to make more profits at our expense.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Well; funny how things work out, and life can change with a phone call ! No I never got a hot woman asking me out for dinner, pity :beatsme. But.... did spend today in the seat of a D6R-1. Very impressed liked it a lot and even the electronic trans shift. Although still think there is a lot less to go wrong with cables or linkages !
Still interested in your thoughts comparing the D6R-2 to your D7G though ibfarmin. cheers :drinkup

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Ive had both on my books, series 2 XL and series 1. The series 1 was serviced religiously at 250hr intervals, trans filters at 500hrs, the lot at 1000hrs. It was sold by the customer somewhere round 17k hr. It never broke down. I'd stretch to say it was the last of a dying breed. They don't make them like that anymore.
The series 2 tho had problems from day one. I can't believe that all later machines were that bad, but this particular one was.
The blokes on it reckon that it couldn't push like the old tractor and also used more fuel. Their words were something like; you notice how much more it when pumping by hand!!
Personally speaking, if I was in the market for a small dozer, I'd find a reasonable series 1, run it, take a saving on initial layout or finance, then have a Cat Cert Rebuild once its earnt a fistful of cash.
Simon

ibfarmin

well I will let you know what I find out. as soon as the snow and frost get out of the ground I plan to be running them side by side building terraces this spring. sounds like everyones input on the c9 and 3306 is leaning towards the 3306. hope this purchase wont be one I regret. I have had a 6r 1 in the past and I know the 6 su blade handles much better than the 7s. its better at grading and can load and carry faster with out chopping like the 7s.

ibfarmin

sounds like sound advise. I guess I will see how this one works out, if I don't like it I will just send it on down the line

ibfarmin

thanks. that's kinda what I have been hearing. I have been meaning to switch to a 15w 40 anyway. I has been just so convienient buying one bulk oil to use in both the engine and trans. I gonna pump off the remainder of the 30w into a barrel and have them come out and refill my tank with 15w 40. thanks again for your info.