• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 302.5

Palmer78

Does anyone have any experience with this model? There are a few used units for sale at a local cat dealer for a reasonable price but I don't know anything about these and have never really seen anyone use them. Are they good machines?

special tool

I used another contractor's 302 on the same site once.
Seemed like an excellent machine to me.
And I am not biased, I own Komatsus, Cat's and Kubotas.
The mini Cat was just very impressive.

Per Eriksson

simple machines, there's been a problem with the pump wearing out early but that can be checked via the oil analysis.

Palmer78

Thanks for the feedback. Are you talking about the hydraulic pump and how early is early? Are they going out because of neglect and abuse or is it just a bad piece? And do I need to look out for grey market machines with this model?

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Thanks for the feedback. Are you talking about the hydraulic pump and how early is early? Are they going out because of neglect and abuse or is it just a bad piece? And do I need to look out for grey market machines with this model?

I have a Cat 302.5 never had a problem with the machine. It has around 2700 hours on it. Cat is nice because parts are easy to get. The problem with mini's is that everyone abuses them by picking to much, and just pure abuse. I have pushed mine to the limits, but I change the oil religiously, and grease all the time.