• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D high flow specs

Danfromcomo

I am finding conflicting data on what my high flow GPM should be on my machine.
The model on the tag shows 299D serial number CA0299DKHCL00944 and on the side it shows High Flow XPS.
What should be my GPM on high flow at wot?
I took it to cat and they verified it is within specs but its still not operating my mulcher at enough RPM's.
THanks!

Per Eriksson

Standard 23
High flow 32
How much does your mulcher require?
Are you using the correct electric plug to activate high flow, without this it will only provide standard flow.

Pin B and N should be connected to enable high flow.

Last edited:

Per Eriksson

One more thing, if you run it without the plug you should notice a difference when running it with the plug, if not you may have a wiring or valve issue.

Actually, I took a sneak peak on your serial and it indicates your machines is a XHP model and that is able to supply 40 gpm to the worktool.

Last edited:

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
What kind of mulcher? One that has an electrical plug built in, or are you using the Cat plug?

I very strongly suspect the Cat plug for the HiFlow XPS is different from the HiFlow XHP. Since they are supposed to trip a different set of terminals. :) The XPS one is Cat# 377-5466. I can't help on the XHP. If as Per ERik says you are an XHP, then you may have the wrong plug.

I have a 289D and 299D3, both XPS. With the Cat plug in, and an AFE mulcher (no electrical connections), and the HiFlow Rocker switch activated- I activate the roller switch on the right handle. The mulcher will spin up for a bit say 5-7 seconds, and then it spins faster like it has caught hi gear and there will be an icon light up in the display (top right corner) close to the Continuous Flow circle. I would suspect if you aren't hearing that distinctive "high gear" shift you may not actually be going into hi flow.

Danfromcomo

One more thing, if you run it without the plug you should notice a difference when running it with the plug, if not you may have a wiring or valve issue.

Actually, I took a sneak peak on your serial and it indicates your machines is a XHP model and that is able to supply 40 gpm to the worktool.
There is a difference when the plug is removed. All indicators show that it is going in high flow.
When I was at CAT buying the plug the tech told them to get the XHP and I told them I had the XPS not the XHP but the lady at the counter said the XPS just came out in the last couple of years and it must be a XHP.
Thats what Im confused about, is whether it is a XHP or not. Your saying the SN identifies it as XHP? Even though it does not show on the tag model?

Danfromcomo

What kind of mulcher? One that has an electrical plug built in, or are you using the Cat plug?

I very strongly suspect the Cat plug for the HiFlow XPS is different from the HiFlow XHP. Since they are supposed to trip a different set of terminals. :) The XPS one is Cat# 377-5466. I can't help on the XHP. If as Per ERik says you are an XHP, then you may have the wrong plug.

I have a 289D and 299D3, both XPS. With the Cat plug in, and an AFE mulcher (no electrical connections), and the HiFlow Rocker switch activated- I activate the roller switch on the right handle. The mulcher will spin up for a bit say 5-7 seconds, and then it spins faster like it has caught hi gear and there will be an icon light up in the display (top right corner) close to the Continuous Flow circle. I would suspect if you aren't hearing that distinctive "high gear" shift you may not actually be going into hi flow.
That is interesting. THe plug that I got is 421-4208. On mine when I use the roller on the right the high flow indicator light comes on but it never kicks into the higher speed like you are saying. The Loftness mulcher that I just purchased new from a dealer will only turn 1590 RPM on my machine then when they hook it to a 95 SVL Kubota it will turn the required 1900 RPMs. They said the mfg told them they would need different gears in it for the CAT to turn up the same RPM's.

Per Eriksson

HCL00944 shows as a 2013 model with hydraulic ar 345-5382 ->pump gp work tool group 358-4977 -> pump 341-7635 which is listed as the XHP version

The difference between XHP and XPS plugs is they either connect B-K for 32gpm or B-N for 40gpm

It would have been really interesting to know what flow they got when they tested it at the dealer, maybe they just ran did the standard mode test?

If you feel like tinkering you could test if the load signal cutoff solenoid is working, if that doesn't activate and cut the signal to the pump it won't be able to give full flow.
But everything is hidden beneath the cab so no easy access.

Reuben Frazier

Is the high flow icon coming on? If so it could simply be the heads not set up to match the machine. Is the head new or did you buy it used? It makes a HUGE difference on how the head is set up and they vary wildly between steers. It’s typically an easy fix tho
Can you give some info on the model of head and or possibly a pic of the serial plate?

Where are you located?