• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 252b overheat now won't run

sbrats

Just purchased a 2005 Cat 252b with just under 2000 hours serviced by a dealer. Took it home and ran it for less than an hour and temp light turned on, I immediately shut it off, it was low on coolent. Now it turns over but immediately shuts down when the starter disengages any thoughts as to the problem?

ammocat

If the Coolant was low...perhaps other fluids are low as well and the safety mechanism was tripped. Preventing the machine from starting.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Sounds like the computer is shutting the machine down due to motor conditions, ie low oil, low oil pressure... etc

The other possibility is a faulty key switch. I've had this problem with my takeuchi, I had to wiggle the key to keep it going.

Also did you add coolant to the overflow tank or directly to the radiator?

sbrats

A little black smoke seems normal, if you hold the key in the starter position it will run just fine, I think it may be a safety mechanism as ammocat suggested. It was just serviced by a dealer all fluids and filters changed except coolent it seems.

sbrats

I put the coolent in the radiator as the owners manuel spells out, I checked voltage at the key switch and it and its working as it should. It says in the manuel the thermostat is equipped with a shunt and the machine cant be run without one could this be the problem?

ammocat

In many equiptment you can remove the thermostat and test it. I'm not too familiar with yours but if you remove it you can check to see if it's stuck. Many people will suggest you place it in water then boil the water to see if the thermostat opens or closes thereby letting you know if it works. Orr unplug the thermostat an see it it runs!!

sbrats

unpluged the thermostat, nothing. I jumpered the wiring harness to the stat and the temp light in the cab turned on so it seems to be working fine. I changed the start run relay thinking that may be the problem but nothing. I have voltage to the fuel pump in run mode, I think the solenoid and pump are in the same housing. I can't find any troubleshooting information for Cat on the web does anyone know a site I can go to that can help me?

ammocat

Maybe unplugging the battery then waiting a few minutes then plugging it back on may reset the computer back to normal. Make sure you check all your fuses.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Not to be a jerk, just asking. Did you check voltage to the rear solenoid. The 252 has two on the injection pump. the one with the yellow wire on top is a cold start. The one on the rear near the injector lines is the one you want. If possible, would put it on a trailer and take it back. There may not be a warranty implied but, if it ran for less that an hour, they need to fix it. All fluids should have been good or changed as the sale prep of the machine. Don't be afraid to ride the salesmans but a little to get it fixed.

sbrats

Unhooked the battery nothing. Checked voltage on the injection pump there is a black and red wire, photo attached. The red wire shows voltage when starting. Should there be voltage on the black wire with the key in the on position?DSC01574.JPG

Last edited:

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
That is the fuel transfer pump. The injection pump is located to the left of your picture. It is an aluminum block. It has a cold start solenoid on top and the stop solenoid is the one to the rear. Check to see if you have power at this one.diesel-fuel-injection-Fuel-Injection-Pumps.jpg to the right in the picture.

sbrats

I talked with the mechanic that worked on it previously he seems to think its the ECM im assuming it stands for Electronic Control Module? He told me the 252's have problems with it. I put the ball in the dealers court and we will see what he says tomorrow. Thank you for all your input its nice to know that people are willing to spend time to help someone with a problem so far away.
Please let me know what you think of the 252 and potential problems, I need a skid steer to work not work on I'm looking on putting less than 100 hours a year on it.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I am not aware of any faults with the 252. Make sure you keep your linkage greased and you should have no problems. Let me know what they come up with.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Loader linkages. The high reach have several more fittings than a standard machine. Know where they are an hit them often.