• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE loader control valve issues

Hello all, great forum here. I have used what I can that’s available for info but can’t seem to find an answer to a problem I have. Just the other day on my 580SE out of nowhere I think a relief valve got stuck open in the loader control valve because the motor stays loaded and I can hear a relief valve bypassing(I am touching no controls). The front loader now curls and moves entirely on its own without me touching anything, it does this slowly though. Given this backhoe is from 84 and the valve body has never been touched, I am going to tear down and reseal the whole control valve. I guess my question is, I have the large manual, is there a whole seal kit you can buy or am i going to have to buy each one separately Seems online the case dealer has everything. hopefully none of the relief valves need replacing since they seem to be around $200 a pop. Also I see where a pressure gauge goes to test pressure, does anyone know what size that is? Also since that’s for main relief how do you test the pressure of the bucket curl and lift reliefs? Thanks to everyone that’s on here for the help in advance!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Check the return to dig linkage first off, make sure it's not froze up. Then if that doesn't help then remove the end cap on bucket spool and check spring and detent housing.

So I took the whole valve body off as I was going to reseal the whole thing anyway, since it hasn’t been touched since 84. Upon removing the relief valve. The white oring was broken. Then I get to the load checks. None of them even had an oring on them. Hopefully they find the filter first and not jam up a relief in the backhoe. Needless to say, that was probably my issue. Will circle back when new orings arrive. When it comes to the reliefs, is the general consensus not to tear them down and just replace the outer seals?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yeah you can just replace o-rings on outside. But they’re not that difficult to tear down and reassemble.

I’ll tear down the main relief since theres a procedure in the manual for adjusting pressure with the backhoe itself, but the manual also states to test circuit reliefs that I need a handpump and test station. Can they be tested while in the machine, like can I just disconnect a loader hose and put a gauge on it that way? That was my hesitancy on tearing down the circuit reliefs.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
You will only read main relief but you can set your main up and then you’ll read circuit relief but because you can do some damage.