• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SaylChr1

Hi everyone,

I bought an old 1987 Case 580K (Phase I) and I'm looking for help identifying all compatible transaxle fluids. The service manual calls for 20.5 quarts of Case Transaxle Fluid (MS 1317). The only thing I've been able to find from Case which appears to be what I need is their Premium Transaxle Oil - #73344324
The description says: "enables smooth, noise-free operation in axles — especially those fitted with oil-immersed brakes — under a wide range of speeds, loads and torques."

Specifications list:
SAE 80W-140
MAT 3515-B
The MAT specifications appear to be aircraft grade from what I could find. But there's no mention of MS1317 which does give me pause. . . and the price is $214 for 5 gallons! :D

The only other oil I've been able to find is from Viscosity. . .

TUTELA® SAE 80W-140 Transaxle Fluid​

MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF:
  • CNHI MAT 3510, MAT 3515-A
  • API GL-4
  • MS 1317
  • NH 600TR
  • ZF TE-ML 05F
  • ZF TE-ML 21F
This one doesn't list MAT 3515-B, but it does specify MS 1317. This oil is priced at $231 for 5 gallons!

Are there any other options or more economical alternatives that isn't going to break the bank?

Last edited:

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
At top left of page click on SEARCH FORUMS, enter Case 580K phase 1 transaxle oil, scroll to bottom, hit search, whole page of replies, read them all then pick your poison.