• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 Front Drive pump control valve removal

97Case1840

Long time lurker, first post......

Just for clarity: This is the control valve that the left drive handle is connected to.

The front drive pump control valve is leaking oil and there appears to be some "slop" somewhere in the control lever/control valve assembly I need to diagnose yet.

I would prefer to do this repair in the machine if possible and it appears I can, but I'm not a skid steer mechanic.

Can I remove the control valve and replace the o-rings and any other damaged parts without removing the pump from the machine?

Do I need to drain the hydraulic fluid from the machine before I pull the control valve or will I just lose some of the fluid in the pump when I pull the valve?

Thank You in advance!!

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
you will lose fluid. You need to pump out a couple gallons or just drain the tank.
Yes, you can replace the orings in the machine.

97Case1840

Thanks for the reply phil. I tried searching previous threads so as to not bother you guys with something that had been covered previously, but I didn't find anything.

After the small amount of repairs I've done on this 1840, I'm starting to notice that the 1840 and 1845 are pretty identical on a lot of things from the internet searching I've done.

I only swapped the o-rings on the spool, but I did get the rings for the sleeve as well and I will swap those out when I do the next oil change.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I swapped the ones on the spool first, not realizing there were also o-rings on the sleeve.
For whatever reason, it's the sleeve ones that seem to leak.