• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can you swap axles from a 98 f800 to a 84 F800

newdesertfox

Basically I found a 98 f800 that they are breaking down for parts, I have an 84 F800 with dayton split rims that needs new tires. And I was wondering if the price was right if I could swap out the entire axle up front and in back to convert over to budds style tires that the 98 truck has. The cost to just buy everything and track down parts to do conversion on my truck is just to cost prohibitive to justify for what I use it for. No idea if its realistic or not, it is an airbrake truck, but was just thinking if the axles came with the tires and was a similar price to what I would already spend on new tires and swapping to 11.22s from my split rims might be worth the effort to drop and swap axles if they could fit/work

Truck Shop

Anything is possible--get a yellow legal pad on a clip board grab a tape measure and go at it.
The biggest issue is with the steer axle and whether steering boxes are located in same area
and draglinks are the same plus distance between center to center on front leaf springs so
spring pins match holes. The rear needs to be measured also. It will tell you pretty quick if
it's feasible or not. Ford like any other had allot of design changes, and your trying to bridge
14 years. If it was a A Model Kenworth I could tell you almost every part and piece between
1946 to 1982.