• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BSPP to JIC fittings on a Takeuchi

redlaker1

I have a bit of a dilemna with my takeuchi, all the fittings and hoses are BSPP (british standard pipe parallel). I would like to convert them to JIC as I blow hoses, and want to have the fittings on hand to be ready. I have some of the common fittings that go in the valve bank and in the cylinders. but I realized that I need to have some BSPP female to JIC male adapters to go from hose to the pipes on the boom and back to hose.

wondering what fellow takeuchi owners are doing. and if you are going this route do you know of a place that stocks these fittings and adaptors at reasonable prices?

the reason I want to go to JIC is that I am not in a major urban center and the hydraulics shops here dont stock BSPP hose ends.. and pretty much everywhere you go in N. America have JIC fittings

Last edited:

surfer-joe

I used to exchange odd-ball fittings such as those you mention by looking in either an Aeroquip or Parker hydraulic catalog for connectors that would convert. I haven't looked lately, but you might be able to see these catalogs on-line. I generally used a paper listing.

I also would custom-make conversion fittings when nothing else could be found by taking the original fitting and modifying it half and half. Or sometimes, it might take a series of two or three conversion fittings to get where you want to go.

Not sure why there are still BSPP fittings being used on machinery. They were always rare. I would think a Takeuchi would be pure metric standard.

OneWelder

years ago I got them from either aero-quip or gates
have also tig welded fittings to convert I think in 70 s Mit. ex. used them - but could have been hitachi or both
Back then it was quite a project just figuring out what they were as we were thinking jap. metric - then euro. metric

redlaker1

I found some fittings on the gates website, BSPP female to JIC male after a bit of looking

with the machine at first it was a mystery to me what they were, but a thread pitch gauge and caliper solved that. I was really hoping they were NPT or BSPT or JIS
I was going to take them home, fire up the bandsaw and tig, but ended up finding something that worked. I just wish they could have been JIC with ORB in the valve and cylinders

at work I have some of the same problems we have drill jumbos with french carriers, german engines, finnish booms, swedish assembly plant, american valves, etc...... so its a neverending battle on what fitting, adapter, what goes to what

so I shouldnt be surprised

how exciting would the heavy equipment industry be if all the manufacturers could decide on the same standards, fittings, control patterns, etc

Dom

Future Hydraulik in Quebec sells many BSPP and DIN (metric) fittings. They more then likely have the adapters you would need.

I did a catalogue once of all the fittings my company was using, it was 40 pages long! :eek:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The story I got from some old timers that served in WWII was that the when the Japanese surrendered they were required to adopt Western engineering standards. They chose British Standard Pipe for threaded fittings. I have seen mostly BSP and BSPP on Kobelco, Hitachi, Sumitomo and Caterpillar. Komatsu uses the JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard fittings which uses a metric thread and I believe a 33 degree bevel for a sealing surface. Their O ring fittings are metric thread but may be metric BSPP.

Parker Fluid connectors makes a small shop book called International Thread I.D. Kit which includes a small measuring caliper, angle gauge and two thread pitch gauges all for identifying fittings. I think I paid $15.00 for mine about 18 years ago. Buy hydraulic hoses and fittings for a while from one supplier and they will probably give you one.

I used to buy most all the adapters from Parker dealers but I know there are independant machine shops that build special adapters in bulk. Local dealers in Washington State that I bought fittings from were American Hose and Fittings, Fittings Inc. and Western Fluid Hydraulics. I still had to make lots of odd ball fittings to get machines going so keep the hacksaw handy and the welder warm.

We haven't had much problem with hydraulic fitting adapters in a few years. We had more trouble with the O ring face locks that started coming out on logging equipment about ten years ago. We usually converted those back to JIC as fast as possible.

Good Luck!

OneWelder

John
Parker Fluid connectors makes a small shop book called International Thread I.D. Kit which includes a small measuring caliper, angle gauge and two thread pitch gauges all for identifying fittings. I think I paid $15.00 for mine about 18 years ago. Buy hydraulic hoses and fittings for a while from one supplier and they will probably give you one.
Although I would guess to be more like 25 yre in my case- that is how I identified them also

Diesel Man

Occupation
Currently DOD civilian in Iraq working on military
You may want to check out Malonespecialtyinc.com as they specialize in metric fittings and adapters to and from. Also BSPP and BSPT are the same as JIS on port side fittings and 30 or 45 degree flares on hose side with metric threads that meet JIS standards. These are also called Komatsu fittings and you should be able to find them at a Komatsu tractor dealership. I hope this helps as it sounds like these are the fittings that your tractor came equiped with standard. Please do not use too many adapters to get to your final fitting destination as they will cause a restriction through ea. one and lower flow in the system possibly causing a change in operating dynamics. Good luck.

redlaker1

a while ago I got some straight bspp to jic fittings to go into the valve bank and the cylinders.. straights and 90s. then I realized that the metal pipes on my boom have male bspp ends so I would need a bspp female to jic male fitting if I was to go with bspp there.

at first I couldnt locate the fittings on parkers website, and then it just so happened that the parker rep was in at work revamping our fittings inventory so I asked him and he got me the part #s for bspp female to jic male fittings so I am all set now to go with jic hose ends any time I blow a hose.

atgreene

My Tak has the same issue. I finally learned not to mess with Napa, as they seldom have enough hose ends to make the hose I need. Last time I stopped there to get a BSPP hose made they had one fitting. I asked them what good was that, do they normally make a hose with one fitting?:beatsme:mad:

Now I just drive the 30 miles to the Hydraulic Hose place and they make me up what I need.

Quick story, Wed. I agreed to help the snowmobile club fix a trail. Had a little snow so I had to walk the machine down the road as my truck and trailer never would have made the hill. Got halfway there and blew a small line from the 2 speed travel solenoid valve. Took it off, drove 30 miles to and 30 miles back. I ALWAYS have 2 hoses made up. Learned long ago that it's worth it to have a spare on the shelf. Replaced the hose that blew, fired up the machine, hose next to that one was blowing oil. Used my spare I just bought and replaced that one as well. Never blew two hoses at the same time before. :confused:

Why can't all these threads be standardized world-wide? I wish someone would start that movement so we wouldn't have all these different types to deal with.