• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to get started?

bigrid64

Occupation
Sales - Marketing Research
After years of watching heavy equipment on my lunch breaks, I have decided to switch careers to enter this field. I have 6 years of sales experience and a business degree from a major university, but I am not sure exactly where to start to get my foot in the industry.
I am currently thinking about entering in one of the Heavy Equipment Operator schools, then finding a job as an operator with the hopes of eventually moving up into project management and possibly sales.
Is this the best way to get started? Any thoughts or suggestions?

thewizftl

Your story is similar to mine. After 18 years in management I decided to switch careers into this field, and did so just recently.

You will get a lot of good advice from the pros in this forum ( I am not one).

I decided to attend a heavy equipment school and it was the best thing that I could have done. I just graduated last week and already have had several companies show interest.

Good luck in your new career.

bigrid64

Occupation
Sales - Marketing Research
Thank you Thewizftl

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear you have opportunities - good luck with that.

Presently, I am trying to compile info about the different operator training schools but I am finding the info is quite spread out. Plenty of hands-on training is extremely important to me, but I am very interested in classroom and/or text education as well.
Do you mind sharing with me why you chose one school over another? In hindsight, would you have done anything differently with respect to choosing a school or program?

thewizftl

I spent a lot of time researching the schools. The one I chose was based primarily on "seat time", class size, and curriculum. It is important that the school is accredited.

The school that I chose had a class size of 8 with 7 pieces of equipment, 300 hours of seat time and the curriculum and accredidation was through the NCCER.

I was very pleased with the training I received.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

Yours seems to be a fairly common story on the Board, I believe you're the third or fourth who has posted a similar story.

Good luck!

T#5

Occupation
cermic tile setter
Welcome bigrid64
I too attended the 300 hr course in FL. If seat time is what your after its there. Take the book home. Or if you like do more classroom time. The school is quite versitile. I chose seat time. Bill the instructor is wise and someone to listen to. He jokes alot but his intent is to make you feel comfortable in the seat. Thewiz is someone to listen to also I haven't confirmed yet, but he is moving up the ladder quick:notworthy . I'm trying to get Bill onto this forum as I think he is a wealth of knowledge. Keep your eye out cause I'm gonna bug him right into our forum. peace out all T#5:drinkup