• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backfill conveyor

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I was looking at the felco backfill conveyor, and i think that is is definately a great idea but there is little known about them i would like to find out if any one has had any experience with them before and how easy it is to get compaction with them or if that is even possible.

If a guy had the digging machine bedding the pipe would it be possible for another hoe or maybe 2 to plate tamp the fill in 3 foot lifts as it comes in .

Attachments

• felco_3.jpg
    felco_3.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,618

Dominion 410

backfill

Could be a time-saver in the right place.Not sure on how it would be from a maintenance end of things.There was one for sale in Equipment Journal back a couple years ago,but it actually straddled the trench.Believe it was a custom built unit.

Dominion:canada

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Ah rite on, i agree it would work only in ideal conditions but i think it would be even more productive if a guy had a trenchor feeding it.

I want to know more but they seem to be a unique tool

heavylift

I've used them.... works great... in tight areas.... keeps the spoil away from the ditch... the dirt is just run back on the street, not actually dumped back in the ditch
Also load out 1 truck load per set usually.. as the hoe digs

we dig to grade .... throw a little sand in the ditch to bed... (from the hopper behind the hoe)...then sand up the over the top of the pipe....

it is then backfilled with a hoe w/roller bucket

geneland

Occupation
plant process machine design
wander into Spokane/Coeur d Alene, see all the sewer pipe laid thru this "all gravel" urban area, with conveyor past box to excav using wheel compactor. the usual open length is less than 60ft, undug under 550 to compacted up to grade under 235. yes gravel and sand valley 40-50miles thru here. Then the conveyor needs big hopper 20cy, 42"belt, 200fpm under to 15'up clr wires, drops to 10ft chute, wheel on exc has plate to shove backfill near back of box. . not just one, but all 6-7 contractors do "bout same.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
only area i can see where you might get into trouble with them is where your setting a manhole, or have alot of extra material to remove compared to where your backfilling. It looks like if you get too much material behind you your going to need a loader or dozer to shove it back to where it came from.

Other than that, if you were digging long, straight, uncongested runs, it would probably be awesome.

Melvin

A good conveyor system will help to produce productive job, so it is essential to select the right kind of conveyors.It is better to take the advise from people who have thorough knowledge in conveying system.Also make sure that the conveyors are manufactured by well known manufacturers.