• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

39MT Starter for 671

Old School Crown

I just replaced the starter in my 1979 Crown Coach school bus (with a Detroit 671) with a 39MT gear drive starter. This is an awesome upgrade. What I want to post is the part number because I was unable to find anything online or even at Fleet Pride where I purchased the starter. It is a Delco Remy 8200308, CW rotation, 11 tooth. It really cranks the 671 very nice! Supposably, I can also down size the Battery bank to one 8D battery instead of the current two. The appearance of the 2 starters is quite different, but it works great!

Attachments

• 20240628_152104.jpg
    20240628_152104.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240628_152448.jpg
    20240628_152448.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20240622_092152.jpg
    20240622_092152.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20240628_165359.jpg
    20240628_165359.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 16

Old School Crown

This is all good to know information. The kid at the parts store had no idea what I was talking about. If it's not on their drop down menu, they don't have a clue...
I just took a chance and bought it. He did say I could return it if I didn't install it.

Tyler d4c

The 8200308 is Delco's clockable/fits most anything with 11 tooth. Actually you can't hardly
find a parts house that stocks the old MT40 or MT42. No one wants those, the 39 turns with
only three HD31's 33% faster.
I walked in the parts place hunting some brushes and about got laughed out of the place. It was for a smaller delco a mt24? Perhaps any how some brushes as the automotive starters used. No one could understand why I want parts just not a starter. I says I'm cheap and told them it was for a old tractor. I can't help but wander why no one is willing to change a solenoid and brushes when possible.

Old School Crown

Yes. I miss the days when you would go to NAPA and the old guy behind the counter would dig through one of his books and find the bearing, brush or bushing that you needed to get you back on the road. He knew stuff. He was retired after working on them for 40 yrs. Now it's just some kid that has to click on a computer screen and if it's not on his drop down menu, you are SOL.....

colson04

Yes. I miss the days when you would go to NAPA and the old guy behind the counter would dig through one of his books and find the bearing, brush or bushing that you needed to get you back on the road. He knew stuff. He was retired after working on them for 40 yrs. Now it's just some kid that has to click on a computer screen and if it's not on his drop down menu, you are SOL.....
I needed a governor for one of our trucks the other day. Stopped at NAPA, guy behind the counter had no idea what I was asking for, but eager to help. Older guy walks in from backroom and hands one to me. He heard me ask about it from the other room and grabbed it, knowing the guy at the counter didn't have a clue. I was just happy they had one.

Tyler d4c

I needed a governor for one of our trucks the other day. Stopped at NAPA, guy behind the counter had no idea what I was asking for, but eager to help. Older guy walks in from backroom and hands one to me. He heard me ask about it from the other room and grabbed it, knowing the guy at the counter didn't have a clue. I was just happy they had one.
Probably about the cheapest part left they where 13 bucks the last I noticed in the parts flyer

Truck Shop

why no one is willing to change a solenoid and brushes when possible.
Big reason {in most cases} there is more wrong than just brushes. In the case of a MT39
it's lighter easier to handle. In cold weather a 39 will out perform any older starter design.
Plus at the price of labor--less time to slam a new one, & be one with it.

Tyler d4c

Big reason {in most cases} there is more wrong than just brushes. In the case of a MT39
it's lighter easier to handle. In cold weather a 39 will out perform any older starter design.
Plus at the price of labor--less time to slam a new one, & be one with it.
I get it but for us (assuming a solenoid and brushes and a few other trinkets get is back to good shape) its the way we go.

Truck Shop

Get another ten years older, you'll stop messing with them, us old farts like to pitch old
starters/alternators, water pumps from a distance--kind of like horse shoes, just to see
if we can hit the scrap bin underhanded at 40'.

Welder Dave

We have Traction Heavy Duty Parts here that is a division of Napa. One guy that retired from there was a friend who's family owned a brake and clutch shop. They closed the brake shop and he went there to work but has since retired. He really knew his stuff but now it's really hit and miss, mostly miss getting anybody that has a clue unless it's the most common everyday thing you need. Some guys don't even know how to look stuff up in a catalogue. If it doesn't pop up on the computer right away they're lost.