• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2015 Freightliner 114SD Power Steering

John Buz

The power steering will cause hard turning and randomly stall, does anybody know what the problem might be as there is no info anywhere else.

Truck Shop

First what type of power DD13 or DD15? If so those power steering pumps were good for about
350,000 miles average. The pump is a TRW aluminum body that wear real fast with excessive
steering causing a overheat issue with pump , fluid , and steering gear. What color is the fluid?
if it's dark it's burned and not uncommon for these pumps. The fleet I took care of I kept two
pumps on hand at all times, replaced as many as two in one week. If a truck does allot of backing
plus has a drop axle-if the driver is subgrade at backing and axle goes up the steer weight just
jumped 3 to 5,000 lbs and the screwing back and forth burns the pump up. I've had trucks you
could barely hold your hand on the steering box it's so damned hot-cooked from lousy driving and
worn out steering pump. And the pump is run off the air compressor buried in the frame on left
rear of engine.

John Buz

It's a dd13 dump truck with one drop axle, and the fluid is an almost transparent red . Btw there is an air leak that's getting fixed and we discovered a fluid leak behind steering box. So you're saying the pump needs to be replaced? The truck only got 100k miles

Last edited:

Truck Shop

It's a dd13 dump truck with one drop axle, and the fluid is an almost transparent red . Btw there is an air leak that's getting fixed and we discovered a fluid leak behind steering box. So you're saying the pump needs to be replaced? The truck only got 100k miles
No not necessarily-it's what I've found on higher mileage pumps. If the fluid is good and you found
a leak----take care of leak first.
. This is what happens when the rest of the info comes forth.