• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2004 volvo a30d rear brake issue.

alcoo44

I have a 2004 volvo a30d that I'm having issues with. Seems like the park brake won't release and the guage on the dash for the rear brake pressure will not move. I've pulled all the air valves I can find apart and cleaned them out. Replaced 1 valve on the tank under the bed and the air dryer still nothing. Stop light/triangle is on and won't go away.

Attachments

• 17162335522505538360828243040878.jpg
    17162335522505538360828243040878.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 17162336505944572050194981815017.jpg
    17162336505944572050194981815017.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Pop the cover on the right hand side of the cab under the rear side window, should be a load of air valves, the one your looking for is the one with two solenoids on it and a pressure sensor in the middle (see attached ) check that sensor is working if it is then check the solenoid, if it's not, it's frighteningly expensive!

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1

alcoo44

Pop the cover on the right hand side of the cab under the rear side window, should be a load of air valves, the one your looking for is the one with two solenoids on it and a pressure sensor in the middle (see attached ) check that sensor is working if it is then check the solenoid, if it's not, it's frighteningly expensive!
Do you know the specs the sensor and solenoid should be with in?

alcoo44

Not till I'm back at work, and that's not till Thursday unfortunately sorry
Okay let me know and I'll look into it. I did pull that valve apart and clean it out had some slimy stuff inside but that didn't fix it...

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I am so sorry, i hadn't noticed you had replied. there isn't really any spec's per say, the following is from Prosis
Manual engagement of the parking brake takes place when the two-position switch SW5501 is activated, which means that a request for engagement of parking brake is sent to the control units V-ECU and T-ECU.
Automatic engagement of the parking brake can take place in case of the following events:
○ The parking brake is always active when the machine is started, regardless of the position of the switch.
○ When the software function Delayed stopis requested.
○ Request for activation of electric parking brake from the function Load and Dump brake.
○ If the brake pressure in the accumulators is Not ok (if pressure has been lower than 2.5 bar for more than 1 second). This also generates an alarm.
For continued engagement of the parking brake machine speed must be below 2 km/h.
In the next step the voltage to solenoid valves MA5501 and MA5502 is cut off from the control units V-ECU and T-ECU, respectively. This means that the air to the parking brake's pneumatic system is drained, and the brake pads are applied against the brake disc by spring force. When the pressure sensor SE5501 indicates low pressure, the parking brake light LC5501 is activated. Then the longitudinal differential lock is activated,

alcoo44

I am so sorry, i hadn't noticed you had replied. there isn't really any spec's per say, the following is from Prosis
Manual engagement of the parking brake takes place when the two-position switch SW5501 is activated, which means that a request for engagement of parking brake is sent to the control units V-ECU and T-ECU.
Automatic engagement of the parking brake can take place in case of the following events:
○ The parking brake is always active when the machine is started, regardless of the position of the switch.
○ Request for activation of electric parking brake from the function Load and Dump brake.
○ If the brake pressure in the accumulators is Not ok (if pressure has been lower than 2.5 bar for more than 1 second). This also generates an alarm.
For continued engagement of the parking brake machine speed must be below 2 km/h.
In the next step the voltage to solenoid valves MA5501 and MA5502 is cut off from the control units V-ECU and T-ECU, respectively. This means that the air to the parking brake's pneumatic system is drained, and the brake pads are applied against the brake disc by spring force. When the pressure sensor SE5501 indicates low pressure, the parking brake light LC5501 is activated. Then the longitudinal differential lock is activated,
Do you happen to have a diagram of said valves and accumulators?
Also I tried hooking my diagnostic compute to it but the diagnostic port doesn't seem to have any power.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
ok so your vcads/ and service socket don't have power? does your float hold on the tip lever? does the seat belt switch have power? all these are supplied by fuse 3 a 5a I have a sneaky suspicion that the wire to the seat belt switch has been compromised and blown fuse 3.

alcoo44

ok so your vcads/ and service socket don't have power? does your float hold on the tip lever? does the seat belt switch have power? all these are supplied by fuse 3 a 5a I have a sneaky suspicion that the wire to the seat belt switch has been compromised and blown fuse 3.
Fuse 3 is good. That's the first thing I did was check fuses. I haven't checked the relays. And the float did work a year and a half ago when the truck moved. The service socket had 4.5 volts when I checked it before I tried hooking the computer to it.

SlatcoAu

I know this is probably something you either tried or may not be possible but have you tried connecting shop air to the line to the park brake and the line the pressure switch is on to see if the brake releases and the alarm clears?

alcoo44

I know this is probably something you either tried or may not be possible but have you tried connecting shop air to the line to the park brake and the line the pressure switch is on to see if the brake releases and the alarm clears?
Have not hooked it into the park brake line. I've bypassed the compressor and I've tried hooking into both tanks but neither changed anything.
If I bypass all the valves and send air through the air lines individually I can get the drive brakes to release and set that way. What is wierd is when it's running I get air through the tank behind the cab and air Into the tank under the bed but If I go to the valve on the axle side of that tank there's no air