• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well, I done did it...Amulet Hoeclamp on my NH 675E W/Extend-A-Hoe

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
A thumb is useful for picking a stump out of a hole or moving things within the reach of the swing but for moving stuff any distance a grapple or bucket clamp is going to be the tool of choice. If you are going to try and carry anything with the hoe end and stabilizers retracted you better have a loader bucket FULL of ballast.

That stow bracket is pretty crude looking.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
My plan is to use the thumb to remove the stumps, cut trees, and rocks. No plan to drive around with things clamped in the thumb.

I am sure I will get to the thumb stow bracket, but for now I have to much use for the thumb. Although the stow is only a weld-on bracket with a bolt, I feel it will do the trick when needed...Prolly wont know for some time tho. We still have water and mud, so my access is limited at this point, but I am hopeful that I can get to work full swing in the next month...no real rush now that the price of my shop is so high and I am going to have to wait for the prices to come back down.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I bet you will learn to do everything with it in the functional position so the stow bracket won't be needed.

My comments on the stow bracket were referring to the ragged looking cuts. Compared to the rest of the parts it just looks like a homemade afterthought.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Swetz,
Sorry to hear your 'plot' is still muddy..... I've had no issues down my way with the wet stuff.
Did decide to put off the house build till next year...... $50 for 1/2 inch OSB?????. What's the world coming to....!
Till then I'll have more time to prep the "yard".

Great job on the thumb install..... looks real handy for stone stacking/ picking.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Thanks, T-town!

Once it gets dry, I intend to do some grading and put in more swales, but I gotta get through this wet season first...had heavy rain on Wednesday night, and it rained most of the nite again last night...mud is not going away any time soon!

I know what you mean on the sheathing...I needed a piece of 1/2" plywood for a shim. I went to home depot and it was $45....I was like, really...wtf. I watched a youtube video in which they told everyone not to build a pole barn this year. They explained the prices of lumber by saying that the lumber companies stopped cutting lumber because they expected the market to be dead because of then the opposite happened, the market for lumber went crazy. So, they went back to cutting but the market was and is still so hot that they have not caught up, hence the high prices. Sounds plausible to me, but doesn't help the fact that my tractor is left outside...LOL

EDIT:
Screen shot of the coming days :-(
Screenshot 2021-04-30 083504.png

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Is this what you are talking about?
Inked20210425_102752_LI.jpg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
amulet-stow-bracket.jpg

You ought to see the AC compressor mount on my machine. It looks as bad as this and maybe worse. I would have replaced it but they wanted to make me a deal at $750 so I shimmed and worked with what it had.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
The piece that you pointed out with the red arrow is actually ant same piece as my second from the left blue arrow. This piece is tack welded where you see it for shipping purposes only, and is to be removed and welded in place once the mount is lined up (on the right side) with the boom. The piece you are referring to is cut like that to match the angle on the inside of the bracket.

20210430_132836.jpg 20210430_132754.jpg

Tinkerer

I put one on my CAT 436B about 10 years ago. I wish I hadn’t. It adds so much weight to the back of that machine (its already kinda got a high CG) that if there is any kinda grade, I gotta go up in reverse.
My .02 cents
Is the correct front counter weight on it ?
If it is you could additional weight to it. The same amount as the thumb added to the back end.
I have seen T/L/B's with heavy steel plates welded to the front end loader bucket to add stability to the machine.

Occupation
Barn repair, Septics, General Construction
Necro-post revival alert! I'm considering one of these for my LB75 and am wondering how the thing has worked for you over the last 3 years? I recently bought a portable sawmill and wonder how it will work on logs?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
2 words...Love it!

I have used it to move 100s of trees. If the hoe will lift it, the thumb will grip it tight enough to move it where you want it.

The only downside to it is if you want to do a bunch of digging (like trenching). It requires you to remove a couple bolts (pins) in order to stow it 100% out of the way. I leave mine where it is when I am using it to dig stumps.

The only thing I would say is that I am not as hot on Equipment Land as I once was. I contacted them multiple times to get a quote on a geith coupler for my excavator, and both times, they did not follow up. I just went to a local dealer and bought the geith unit.

I do still love the Amulet hoe clamp tho, and would buy iy again in a second!
1714229603773.jpeg

Occupation
Barn repair, Septics, General Construction
2 words...Love it!

I have used it to move 100s of trees. If the hoe will lift it, the thumb will grip it tight enough to move it where you want it.

The only downside to it is if you want to do a bunch of digging (like trenching). It requires you to remove a couple bolts (pins) in order to stow it 100% out of the way. I leave mine where it is when I am using it to dig stumps.

The only thing I would say is that I am not as hot on Equipment Land as I once was. I contacted them multiple times to get a quote on a geith coupler for my excavator, and both times, they did not follow up. I just went to a local dealer and bought the geith unit.

I do still love the Amulet hoe clamp tho, and would buy iy again in a second!
View attachment 311067
Swetz,

Thanks. It looks like this will work for me then. I sent an email to Amulet for a quote, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

IceHole

Swetz,
Sorry to hear your 'plot' is still muddy..... I've had no issues down my way with the wet stuff.
Did decide to put off the house build till next year...... $50 for 1/2 inch OSB?????. What's the world coming to....!
Till then I'll have more time to prep the "yard".

Great job on the thumb install..... looks real handy for stone stacking/ picking.
I bought 3/4" OSB for a floor last week, was $43 a sheet. Same but plywood was $20 a sheet more.

Seemed like they used to do like 1" or 1 1/8" for flooring, but didn't have anything like that.
Granted even 3/4" wasn't too fun getting up on the mezzanine.

Bootheal

SL Construction, could we see your installation if it gets that far?

I’m still on the fence but drooling…

I did a small project for a neighbor a month ago where I cut through a terrace with a 12” bucket as deep as I could get. First for me that narrow, that deep. The terrace was relatively close to grain bins where they were burying underground power for a new well. Needed it deep if in the future more bins were needed. Terrace would get moved and not bother the power feed.

Not sure which parts of the Amulet would need to come off to do such a deep trench…if any. The bucket pins were all shiny by the end as they were scraping the trench wall all the time.